Chapter 26 The last battle

Third pov

Green mist like creatures sweep over the battlefield, killing orcs and monsters as they go. Willow couldn't make her head work fast enough to connect where the hell they came from.

She felt weirdly sluggish after Rhayna was- shit! Where had Rhayna landed? Her dragon. Where was her dragon?

Her body and mind ached as she whiped her head around and reached out for the mental connection.

"Willow? Willow?" A frantic voice called out to her.

*******

Just after Aragorn released the dead warriors he could see the familiar shape stumbling around further away. She'd been hidden behind the dead.

"Willow? Willow?"

She didn't seem to hear him as he cautiously approached. She looked so distraught as he touched her shoulder.

"I can't find her."

He brushed some blood away from her eye. "Find who, darling? Who are you looking for?"

"Something hit us in the air. Now i can't find her." She looked around and when Aragorn got a better look at her eyes he got an idea of why she seemed a bit out of it. She had at least a minor concussion.

"She'll be fine. She's as strong as you."

With a bit of coaxing she let him lift her and head back to the others. He wasn't happy about her obvious hit to the head but he couldn't do anything about it now.

Instead he took her with them to the throne room to talk.

Gimli managed to get her to let him carry the sword she'd been holding in her hand while Aragorn carried her.

***************

Gimli sat in the throne Denethor had used for years now, Eomer and Legolas stood beside him, Willow sat with her back leaning against the side of the chair and Gandalf and Aragorn stood on the floor.

Willow felt her mind like it split in two, as if it was two minds she had to keep track of. Which she did since it was Rhayna's mind and hers mixing in her head and making her feel worse. The dragon couldn't keep her head separated and Willow felt a quiet sorry breeze through her head.

Not that it helped much. It felt like her head was falling apart as it tried to put some structure into the memories and thoughts.

The only relief that came was when her grandfather touched her forhead and mumbled something. It felt like the thoughts were slinking away.

She gave him a weak smile. "Thanks."

Concern and something her brain couldn't place flashed in his eyes as he got back on his feet.

"Frodo has passed beyond my sight. The darkness is deepening."

"If Sauron had the Ring, we would know it." Aragorn's voice sounds sure.

"It's only a matter of time. He has suffered a defeat, yes... But behind the walls of Mordor our enemy is regrouping."

"Let him stay there." Gimli said. "Let him rot! Why should we care?"

"Because ten thousand Orcs now stand between Frodo and Mount Doom." Gandalf answered. They could see sadness seep into his demeanor. "I've sent him to his death."

Willow had been so quiet that the others had almost been certain she'd fallen asleep. "No. You're wrong. He just needs time and a safw passage across the plains of Gorgoroth."

Aragorn had unconsciously stayed close as his fiancee was no where near sharp enough to protect herself at the moment. A habit he'd seemed to pick up.

Now they shared a look and he understood where she was going with it. "We can give him that."

Gimli frowned. "How?"

"Draw out Sauron's armies. Empty his lands. Then we gather our full strenght and march on the Black Gate."

Eomer stepled forward. "We cannot achieve victory through strenght of arms."

"Not for ourselves." Willow started getting up, grateful for Aragorn immidietly helping her and letting her lean on him. "But we can give Frodo a chance by keeping Sauron's Eye fixed upon us. Keep him blind to anything else that moves."

Legolas smiled a bit. "A diversion."

Gandalf looked at the two of them. "Sauron will suspect a trap. He won't take the bait."

Gimli chuckled. "Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?"

Time skip

Willow knew Aragorn wanted her to stay back, but he knew she would only agree to that if she was halfway dead and so she ended up riding beside him.

Rhayna had retreated somewhere, a cave she suspected. She couldn't speak to her with the block her grandfather put in her mind but at least she could feel her precense. And for now that had to be enough.

She knows that if she survives this then it will be a long time until she can do anything without feeling her body like a big bruise, but if that's what it takes to give Frodo time. Then so be it.

The gate is big and hides everything they have to fight against behind it.

The air is vibrating in anticipation.

A few of them ride up to the gate when nothing happens.

"Let the Lord of the Black Land come forth! Let justice be done upon him!" Aragorn's voice is the only thing to be heard.

Until the gate started opening, revealing thousands of Orcs and monsters.

Wordlessly they follow Aragorn's command to fall back and ride for the army behind them.

When she gets of her horse to let it run back home with the others she feels the wall in her head slipping a little. And she knows- knows that either she lives or she dies. But she couldn't have stayed back no matter what.

The army surround them and soon the Eye has found her lover. He steps forward, sword drown and he looks at them. All of them, as if wanting to see them one last time.

"For Frodo."

They rush forward, swords clashing, stabbing and defending.

Defending everything that is and everything that can be.

The longer everything goes on the more Willow feels the block slipping.

Then she sees it. Aragorn falls and the pit in her stomach grows to a black hole.

No.no.no.no no no no no "NO!"

There's nothing she can do.

A screeching fills the air that cuts into her brain as Mordor is destroyed right in front of their eyes.

Mount Doom also. And Frodo and Sam. Two brave hobbits.

The orcs and giants and trolls run, and unfortunately for Willow she is caught in the middle. A stray sword piercing her side as she falls.

I can barely believe next chapter is the last one.

Please vote and comment, tell me what you think about the journey so far and this chapter :)