Chapter 13

Third pov

When Willow was born it was into a loving but somewhat dysfunctional family.

Her mother was a seamstress. A surprisingly popular one too.

Her father had his own bakery. He was loved for his happy attitude and tasty pastries.

Her two years older sister was extremely talented in anything to do with arts.

Her grandfather was an old man with a lot of stories and a heart filled with love for his family.

When Willow was 4 she got a little sister. She was so happy when she was named Raven after her suggestion. Her little sister was the most adorable thing she had ever seen.

Raven, Willow and Rose stuck together. Always happy and playing. Even when they started school.

When willow was 15 her grandfather died and the whole family grieved.

When she was 16 her older sister died and her world fell apart.

For two years it felt like nothing would be alright again but four years after her grandfather died she managed to pull herself together.

But she managed and she had her parents and her baby sister.

Everything was going fine until an orc killed her and she woke up in another world. There hadn't been time to process everything properly but Willow had a sinking feeling that she would break down when everything was over.

And if King Theoden continued like he did, then it would be over soon and with less than desirable outcomes.

Three days in Helm's Deep and she didn't like him more for it.

"A great host, you say?"

"All Isengard is emptied."

"How many?"

Willow stood beside Aragorn as he spoke. "Ten thousand strong at least."

Theoden turned to them. "Ten thousand?"

Willow felt for Rhayna, called for the dragon to share her memories. "It's an army bred for only one reason: to destroy the world of men." Flashes of burning villages pass in her mind as she opens her eyes.

Aragorn nodded slowly. "They will be here by nightfall."

Something in Theoden's eyes hardened and Willow wasn't sure if she liked it. "Let them come." His voice was hard as he left the room.

As the king and his men left, what was left of the fellowship followed.

Outside the gateway Willow could see Rhayna in the distance.

"We will cover the causeway and the gate from above." Theoden spoke. "No army has ever breched the Deeping Wall or set foot inside the Hornburg."

"This is no rable of mindless orcs. These are Uruk-khai. Their armor is thick and their shields are broad." Gimli was obviously not happy about the king underestimating the enemy.

Theoden turned to him. "I have fought many wars, Master Dwarf. I know how to defend my own keep."

Willow was the only one to not react with fear as she heard Rhayna call for her.

Aragorn stopped her with a hand on her shoulder as she was about to run over to the place in the field where Rhayna had landed. "Be careful."

Willow nodded, even though she wasn't going far. Before she forgot she took the necklace from her pocket and gave it to him. "Here. I promise to be careful."

She felt his eyes on her briefly as she headed down. The further she got the more she felt Rhayna's emotions. They weren't happy. "What happened?"

"I saw the army coming. They aren't alone." The big white dragon head turned to her and snake like eyes met each other. "They have a shadow rider."

Willow frowned. "What's a shadow rider?"

"A Dragon rider brought back from the dead. It is a great crime to do but i assume since they couldn't have you, they chose to bring back the strongest they could find. They are called shadow riders because once a rider dies the only thing left of the dragon is a husk. When you bring it back the husk is filled by the shadow of the dragon."

Willow paled. A rider brought back from the dead? How do you fight that? She turned her head towards Helm's Deep, dread in her mind. These people needed her help, now more than ever.

And they don't even know it yet.

Rhayna gently nudged her shoulder. "You aren't alone. I am with you and the other three are as well."

The young woman nodded. "I know."

Vote and comment, it keeps me motivated :)