V: Golden Queen: Drina

"When I play with my cat, who knows whether she is not amusing herself with me more than I with her"

- Michel de Montaigne

+++++++++++++

July 1887:

North-East of England

I continued to endure.

Just a little bit more.

"Finally, I finished everything just in time for lunch," I said and stretched my arms, feeling satisfied that all my job are finish for the day.

Adrian entered with desserts instead of a typical "healthy" meal. It surprised me in a positive way.

He took all the papers and placed them neatly at the side table, next to the mahogany desk.

"Here's your reward," Adrian said. He served me a slice of double layer chocolate cake with a strawberries on top.

My favorite!

"Guten Appetit!" I took a silver fork and use it to slice the cake without hesitation.

Then, I remembered that I need to used a dessert knife when slicing a dessert, "I'm sorry!"

I keep forgetting about my table etiquette when I'm excited. I love Cakes! And so does everyone, right?

Instead, of scolding me, he patted my head and I lowered my face to hide my now strawberry-colored cheeks.

Suddenly, Ariel entered the room. A letter in her hand.

"Is it a letter from Drina?" I asked her.

She provided me the letter and I immediately abandoned the cake.

Ariel and Adrian knew that Drina had been my pen-pal for almost five years now. I didn't really know much about Drina but I thought for sure that she is a very nice person.

Although, throughout the years Adrian and Ariel insisted that they will search for Drina's real identity, but I told them that I wanted to be a mystery. It's Drina's decision, if she wants to reveal herself, not mine.

Every time I received a letter from her, a memory from my childhood began to play. A memory of the day I first received her letter, was on my 8th birthday, in Wales.

***

The first thing I thought was, it was probably a missent letter. It was address to, My Dear Cat.

I flipped the letter, to look at the back, and it does not have a return address.

After a long battle with my curiosity, I decided to open it, which said:

My Dear Cat,

Happy 8th Birthday

-Drina

I realized that Drina was absurd for sending a letter to a cat and wished it 'Happy Birthday' only to be sent it to the wrong address.

Also, It was odd that the cat has the is about the same age as I am. Coincidentally, I received the letter today, on my birthday.

I was agog to know about her. I decided to respond:

Dear: Drina,

I am sorry to inform you, but the cat doesn't live here. My name is Khaine and I lived here with my family.