XXI: Blue Diamond: Cursed Hope Stone (I)

"Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function"

-Garrison Keiller

+++++++++++++

December 22, 1888

London, England

[Headquarter]

Dear: Diary,

Early morning, Oma departed to visit the Main Estate in the North and is thinking that she might stay there for a while for her next novel. At the last-minute, I asked Adrian to stay with her because the journey is very long and it's been a while since she last visited England. Also, to inquire any data related to Hell and as a precaution considering England is very unpredictable. Demon, grim-reaper and demon hound, etc . What other phenomenon have England keep in tow from me?

Since the SS Empress of Japan will embark on the port of London sometime tomorrow with Grand-père and Baba, I decided to go to the city and visit the shop, Papillon Noire.

Papillon Noire is French for Black Butterfly. It was name after Baba whose name is Chimiko-Chou. Chou means Butterfly in Japanese, and Noir or Noire, for feminine, means Black which resembled the color of Baba's long hair.

Grand-père once told me that when he first saw Baba she was like a butterfly and she captured his eyes and his heart, at the same time. Is he going to repeat that story again tomorrow?

Ariel announced that she will disguise as a butler until Apollo returns with Oma, which would be in the early morning of Christmas day, so that she drive the coach. What a pretty clever idea.

"Artemis, we are ready for departure," Ariel said as she opened the door dressed in black suit as she pulled her hair up in a bun. Since Oma is not here, I wore my regular clothes .

"I am," I replied as I looked up. See you later, Diary and take care. I will be back soon.

***

[River Thames]

We exited from the forest and saw the buildings of the city. In the distance, I can see the Thames as it curves around London like a snake.

Today is the coldest day of the year and the arctic weather froze the river which prevented it from flowing to the Sea. The cacophony becomes louder as I got closer to the city. The carriage crossed over to one of the bridges that connect to the metropolitan. I witnessed as men and women populated the streets while they wore their winter attires for this frosty day.

As we passed the streets of the city, I saw that there are merchants doing business on the frozen waters of the Thames.

I didn't know that there's such thing as this. What if the ice suddenly breaks?

I saw people congested the area and decided to see it for myself. I got off the carriage and a middle-aged man approached me.

"Welcome..."he glanced at my ring and immediately bowed, "Welcome, Your Grace. It would be an honor if you care to observed around,"

"What is the occasion?" I asked as I looked around the area and saw tents stood over the river, while the crowd walked on them as they checked from one store to another.

"It is the Frozen Fair, Your Grace. It's an annual event here in London and is held when the river is completely frozen. Merchants such as I are able to sell goods for free, although I don't know if Your Grace would care to look around," He replied. In return, I gave him few sovereigns, even though he denied it, I insisted that he should accept it as a Christmas gift and used it to buy something for his family.