XIV: Blue Dog: His Thirteenth Birthday

"...one of the ways in which cats show happiness is by sleeping."

-Cleveland Amory

+++++++++++++

December 14, 1888:

London, England

[Headquarter]

Last night I dreamt about that devil.

In the dream, I took the initiative and kissed him.

Why? It was a nightmare, for sure. Was I now cursed because of that kiss?

I grew up learning that Christmas is the day of generosity.

The day to treat people you cared and hated equally. A time of the year that you can consider your assassins as your allies.

I placed myself inside the study room and wrote Christmas greetings to all the people I know.

Both Comrades and enemies.

Although, I'm worried that my enemies will think of it as a death threat and never bother to open it and just throw it in the fireplace.

What a waste of paper and ink.

My grandparents will be here next week and I have to convince them that I am safe in London.

The Christmas cards were requested a few months ago and arrived last night in a bundle.

This year's cards are in the shape of the mansion.

It was painted in the same color: black roofs, red-clay brick walls and white for the columns and windows. Then bordered with silver linings.

I cursively wrote my greetings and thanks with an artificial silver ink.

Annually, I looked at my black leather ledger and wrote the amounts of every donation and employees' bonuses.

Also, expenses for the Christmas food for the people in East End.

As always, I asked Adrian to double-check the ledger and make changes if necessary.

I assigned Artemis to order toys from the Funtom for the orphanages and gifts for the people who lived on the main estate, Blackrose residences' tenants and all my caretakers in Scotland.

This is such a hard work. I took Adrian and Ariel for granted. I should give them something special.

As I became engrossed with my tasks for to the day, Ariel knocked on the door and brought some hot chocolate and cookies.

I glanced up, said my thanks and smiled in response.

***

Two hours later, Ariel puts the cards inside the black envelopes and put faux silver wax on each of them, while I pressed my ring with my insignia on all of them.

I looked at my custom-made insignia ring which is very different from the original Blackrose family ring.

My symbol is a rose with twelve petals which recognized me as the twelfth generation and the thorns that surrounded it, which symbolized Mama's maiden surname, Blackthorn.

The original Blackrose family crest ring which has a Welsh cross in the middle surrounded with five petals on the first row and another larger five on the second row; and five rose leaves on each corner.

What's the story of the Blackrose family ring? Why can't I find it in the family book or in the library? Why is this so secret like the family history?