Chapter 2 • Charm

"So . . . when are you going to say it?"

Gemma's taunting tone earns my attention while she continues to drive and even though I know what she's referring to, I'm going to milk it.

"Say what exactly?"

"Oh c'mon, Harry, you know. You're supposed to say, 'Gemma, thank you ever so much for setting me up with JJ cos you knew we'd hit it off splendidly. You're a talented matchmaker, and you're the best, most beautiful big sister in the whole wide world.'"

"That's a bit over the top, don't you think?"

"What? You didn't have a nice time?" she rhetorically asks. "I saw that smile on your face and I don't think I've ever seen JJ smile like that before."

"Really?"

"Yeah, I mean, she smiles, don't get me wrong. She's not a sourpuss, oh and we're coming up on the big speed bump, FYI," she warns and I grab hold of the handlebar for support.

"She brought up what I think is an issue for her, though."

"Yeah? What's that?"

"She felt the need to warn me about her weight and she seemed apologetic about it."

"Really? I didn't think it mattered," Gemma says.

"That stuff doesn't matter to you and me, but it does to her, apparently. There was something in her voice . . . I don't know what it was, but it made me feel for her."

"Hmm, that's sad."

"I know, but after I told her it doesn't matter to me, and I cracked an Ace joke, I felt a difference in her presence. She even told me a couple times during our date that she was having a nice time. But you could tell she did?"

"Mhm," Gemma hums favorably in answer and my body shifts slightly with the left turn she's making. "You asked for her number, so you want to go out with her again?"

"Yeah, I'd like to. I mean, we have stuff in common. There's potential, but I think I'll wait a couple days till I call her," I reason somewhat out loud to myself, pushing my sunnies further up on my nose. "I don't want to seem over-eager and scare her."

"That's smart. You're scary enough," she jokes and I feel the car come to slow stop. "We're home. Before I left to pick you up, Michal was getting the grill ready for the chicken. That sound good for dinner?"

"Yeah, of course," I unbuckle my seatbelt and grab my white cane, letting out a laugh.

"What's so funny?"

"Oh uhm, it's something JJ said on our date. She thought this was called a sight stick. We had a laugh about it."

"It sounds rather dirty."

"I know. That's why it's funny."

With a smile plastered on my face, I open the door and feel for the ground with my foot. Once I'm stood on the driveway, I shut the door, simultaneously opening my white cane and I feel Gemma's presence.

"Ready?" she asks, guiding my free hand to her elbow.

"Yeah. Mmm, I can smell the chicken already."

"You and your heightened senses," she teases and we start walking up to the house.

"You're just jealous," I give her elbow a little tickle, making her laugh.

"Whatever you say," she jokes and I hear the sound of the door opening. "In you go now."

Using my white cane to guide me, I step inside and I'm greeted by excited panting.