Chapter 18 • It's A Doozy

"We're here," JJ says, slowly bringing the car to a stop and she turns off the engine.

"Would you like to come in?"

"It's nearly nine o'clock. I'd hate to spoil Gemma and Michal's Saturday night."

"Nonsense. You know I texted her when we left your place and you heard her reply. She said they're just watching the tellie and it's fine if you want to come in."

She hums as if she's debating it, "I'll just pop in to say a quick hello-oh wait a second . . . is that a grin on your face? A cheeky, victorious grin? Like you won something here?"

"No, not at all," I exaggerate my smile and she playfully chides my name with a giggle. "Okay, maybe, but it's only because I get to spend more time with you."

"Hmm, I think you snuck in a another piece of cheesecake when I went to the loo before we left cos you're sweet talking again."

"Nope, this is all me. I was born that way; extra sugary."

"I can actually believe that," she breathes out a quiet laugh. "Harry, you're honestly one of the nicest guys I've probably ever met, besides my dad."

"Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment."

"You should," she giggles. "I'll come around to your side."

The sound of the door shutting makes me flinch and while I wait, I pat my shirt pocket to make sure I have my phone and white cane. My door opens and I turn to face her with a smile.

"You got it?" she asks, placing her hand on my arm and I hum while getting out of her car. "Want to use your sight stick or my hand?"

"You're too funny, JJ," I laugh, holding out my hand for hers and she starts leading me up the driveway. "I'll always choose your hand over anything."

"Anything?" her teasing tone makes me gulp.

"Hmm, it sounds like I'm not the only one who's cheeky," I tease and she hums favorably, stopping us from walking.

"We're at the porch now. Oh, wait. Did you want to go here or your place in the back?"

"Here since I need to get Maggie first," I reply, grasping her hand a little tighter while stepping up. Since I know there's only one step, I loosen my grip and turn to face her.

"It's nice your sister left the porch light on for us."

JJ mutters a curse word under her breath and it's like I can sense her mentally kicking herself for what she just said. Instead of telling her it's okay, I decide to show her.

Using her hand as a guide, I slide my hand up her arm to her shoulder, taking a step closer as my hand finally lands on the delicate spot on her neck just underneath her ear. I duck my head down and aim for her lips with mine.

The soft feel makes me inhale sharply and I smile into our kiss as she places her hands on my waist. Our heads tilt the opposite way and she pulls me closer to her body, slipping her tongue into my mouth.

I groan into our kiss, bringing my tongue to meet hers and I can taste the sugary remnants of our dessert we had earlier. As our mouths work together at a slow pace, I smooth my other hand around her waist to the small of her back and gently press my body into hers.

She curls her fingers into my shirt and I hear the door open.

"I thought I heard voices out here," Gemma's taunting tone makes me stand back up and I quickly wipe my mouth with my hand. "I guess there's no need to ask how the date went, hey?"