Chapter 54 • Anything You Need

A/N: How could I not be inspired after Harry covered Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel? If you swipe the header, you can listen to it while you read or watch him perform, then read. Whatever floats your boat.
Enjoy!

"Oof, get . . . in . . . there . . . okay, it's in," JJ huffs out of breath, no doubt tired from lugging our suitcases out and loading them in her car. "I guess that's it; I've got our suitcases, Maggie's bed and her food bag. Am I forgetting anything, love?"

"I have the bag with the presents," I reply, holding it up so she can see.

"Oh thank you. I think I can tuck that on the floorboard behind my seat. It shouldn't be in Maggie's way. Here, I'll take it, love. Are we ready to go?"

"Yeah, I told Gem we were gonna leave soon when I took Maggie out this morning."

"Okay. That's it then. Hey, Maggie, you wanna go for a ride? Yeah? Okay, c'mon, good girl," she coos and I feel her hand on mine. "I'll guide you to the door."

"Want me to drive?"

She giggles at my joke, squeezing my hand a bit before guiding it to the door handle. Once I'm inside, I shut the door and put on my seat belt, hearing JJ get in the driver's side.

"It's early enough that we shouldn't hit much traffic, so that's good," she says and I hear the engine start, immediately feeling the warm air from the vents blow on my face.

"But it wouldn't put a damper on our little getaway. M'lucky to have this time with you."

"Aw, Harry, what a sweet thing to say. C'mere," she coos, placing her hand on my cheek.

I know what's about to happen, but my stomach still wants to do somersaults because of the anticipation. Our lips meet and her cold nose takes me by surprise, making me laugh.

"Your nose is as cold as an ice cube," I grin as a romantic idea pops in my brain and I slide my hands up her arms until they reach her cheeks. I peck her lips to get my bearings and I move upwards to find her nose and I give it a little kiss. "There. Is it warmed up now?"

"Mhm," she hums in answer. "I have the sweetest boyfriend in the world."

"And I have the sweetest girlfriend in the world," I return the compliment, carding my hands through her hair and I furrow my eyebrows. "What's that in your hair? It feels different than usual."

"Hm? Oh, I braided it. Thought it would be cute."

"And you were right; you are cute."

She giggles at my flirtatious remark, "You're just trouble, aren't you?"

"Yes, but I've managed to finagle my way out of trouble my entire life with the help of these dimples."

"M'sure you have. Okay, if we don't leave now, we'll miss the holiday."

"Alright; I won't distract you anymore . . . until we get to our room."

"You are such a cheeky bugger," she giggles and I grin in victory. "Now, I'm hooking my phone up to the Auxiliary so I can play our Road Trip playlist that I made for us."

"Wonderful. What have you got on there?"

"Hmm, a little of this, a little of that," she muses and as the music begins to play, I feel the car start to move.

The unmistakable sound of the synthesizers make me smirk and as the groovy bass begins to play, JJ starts humming along to Sledgehammer by Peter Gabriel.

"This is one of my favourite songs."

"It honestly never ceases to amaze me how much we have in common," she says. "I've always loved this song. The music video is . . ."