Chapter 68 • Countdown

Incessant knocking stirs me from my sleep and I turn my head on my pillow, quickly realizing it's not just a dream. I exhale a breath, rolling onto my back and Maggie lets out a few high-pitched whimpers. I begrudgingly pull the covers off and sit up on the edge of my bed.

"It's okay, Maggie," I coo, holding out my hand and she nudges her nose underneath for me to pet her. "Good girl. C'mon, let's find out who's at the door. It's probably just Gemma checking on us again. Or Mum."

With a grunt, I take hold of the harness and she starts guiding me to the door. She stops me from walking and I feel around for the doorknob to get my bearings.

"Gem, if it's you, I swear I'm fine."

"No, it's not Gemma. I-it's JJ."

My heart drops to my stomach and for a split second, I don't know if I should open the door or not. This could be a ghost visit, like her ghost call the other day; unintentional. Going against my better judgment, I open the door and inhale the familiar scent of her perfume.

"Hi, Harry."

"Hello, JJ," I reciprocate her cordial greeting, feeling the awkward tension between us.

"M'sorry for coming at this late hour, but Gemma said you were back here instead of at the party," she explains and I nod in answer. "Wait . . . you're in your pj's. Did I wake you?"

"Uhm, yeah, but it's fine," I wave it off. "It's pretty cold out. Would you like to come in so I can shut the door?"

"I uhm, yes, if you don't mind. I need to talk with you. It's rather important."

There's a desperation in her voice that makes me believe this isn't a ghost visit, so I step aside and open the door for her to come inside. Once I feel her presence walk past me, I shut the door and feel around for the light switch to turn on the light for her to see.

By the way Maggie's panting, I can tell that JJ is petting her. I know I can't be emotionally involved with her anymore, so I cross my arms over my chest in an attempt to appear uninterested.

"So, what did you want to tell me?"

"Uhm, o-okay, I just-, God, this is harder than I thought it would be," she giggles nervously and I decide to drop the act.

"Would you care to sit down?"

"No, I can do this. I just wanted to tell you that I did it."

"Did what exactly?"

"I confronted my mum."

My jaw slacks in surprise, "You did? Wow. That's wonderful. I'm glad to know that. How do you feel?"

She hums in thought, "Wonderful . . . and miserable. I'm miserable without you, Harry, and I-"

"JJ-"

"No, please let me finish. I've rehearsed this in my head on the way over here and I have to say it. Okay, here goes . . . I love you. I'm in love with you, Harry, and I know I've probably missed the opportunity of making things right with you, but I had to try. I had to try."

"JJ, I-"

"No, I wasn't finished."

"Oh, I thought-"

"I was just pausing for dramatic effect," she giggles and I can't help but smirk at how adorable she is. "Now, in conclusion, I love you and I hope you'll consider getting back together. But if you don't want to, I'll understand. I'll be heartbroken, don't get me wrong-"

"JJ."

"Yeah?"

"I still love you, but I don't want to go against your mum's wishes, no matter how ridiculous they are. I can't risk your financial security."