Chapter 60 • A Lot Of Things

The entire drive back from the cabin turned into a karaoke session for JJ to sing along loudly with every song that came on her playlist. While I wished I had earplugs, I knew she was using it as a distraction for what happened with her mum earlier.

She still hasn't given me any details on their conversation, but I've also never sensed her this distraught before. Of course with her uncle's passing it was sadness and grief, but this feels like she's on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Even though I'm curious about what JJ's mum told her, I've decided to not pressure her into talking about what happened because she'll talk when she's ready, if at all. My plan is to just be here for my girlfriend and support her, with or without earplugs.

We've been back at my place for over an hour and now that we're getting ready for my family's holiday time together, I wonder if she's still feeling up to going. I'm sure she's tired from the drive, but the emotional drain of what she went through with her mum can only worsen it.

As I finish getting my boots on, I sense Maggie's presence next to me and the unmistakable squeak of a chew toy makes me smile.

"Do you like your new toy the Jenning's gave you, hmm?" I coo, petting her head and she rests her chin on my leg. "You want some more scratches? Oh alright. I guess we have time since JJ isn't ready yet."

While I sit back on the couch, Maggie huffs out a breath that makes me smile and it dawns on me that this is how it will be if JJ and I take our relationship to the next level. If we move in together, it won't just be me and Maggie anymore. It's been just her and I for years now, but I think JJ would fit in our routine splendidly.

Even though JJ and I are both independent people, I think it could work out because we love each other and have so many things in common. We've agreed to take things slow and to not put pressure on our relationship, but I'm actually considering asking her to move in with me sooner rather than later.

But first things first; we'll have to get past whatever JJ and her mum talked about.

The sound of the door to the loo opening captures my attention and I turn my head in the direction.

"Are you two ready?" JJ asks and I move to stand up, reaching for Maggie's harness.

"We are. Are you?"

She giggles, "Of course. I wouldn't have asked if I weren't ready, love."

"Ah, and that's very wise."

"Right, so I told Gemma we'd be at the car at a quarter to six, which is . . . two minutes from now. Do you think we should get a head start?"

"Yes, and that's a splendid idea, but, can I give you a hug first?"

"Yes," she giggles. "You don't have to ask. You can hug me any time you want."

I grin somewhat nervously, extending my hand out and the clicking sound of her high heels on the tile flooring lets me know she's walking over to me. Just when the sound of her shoes become muffled from the rug, she puts her hand in mine and I bring her in for a hug.

In our embrace, I hold her tightly to me and inhale a deep breath, "Mm, you smell good."

She leans back, keeping her arms around my shoulders, "I used my regular body wash and I'm wearing the same perfume I always wear."

"Hm, interesting. I guess it just caught me by surprise, in a good way, this time."

"Perhaps."

I grin at her adorable tone, pulling her closer to me and I duck my head down in hopes for a kiss. My wishful thinking comes true when her lips touch mine and I hold her there for a second more, wanting to make this moment last just a little bit longer.