Chapter 49 • The Next Level

A high-pitched whimper makes me look down to my left and I smirk while I continue to slice the strawberry.

"What is it Maggie, hmm? You can't possibly be hungry since I gave you your breakfast earlier," I say in a hushed tone and she answers me with a huffed breath. "Oh alright. Would you like a treat?"

She barks and I hold my index finger to my mouth.

"Shhh, Harry's still sleeping, love," I kindly chide, wiping my hands on the towel and I reach for the treat bag. She sits up, making her tail sweep across on the floor from wagging it in excitement as she intently watches me take out a treat. "Okay, here you go, good girl. Don't tell Harry, alright? It'll be our little secret."

She licks her nose, staring up at me and I shake my head with a smile as I wash my hands. Another high-pitched whimper earns my attention and I grab the hand towel to dry my hands, turning my attention to her.

"That's all, Maggie."

"Belly rubs help distract her from the T-R-E-A-T-S."

Grinning at his raspy voice, I turn around and my breath catches in my throat at the sight of Harry sitting up in his bed. The sheet is covering his lower half while he stretches his arms above his head and his hair looks as expected for the morning after having sex.

"Thanks, I'll remember that for next time," I pick up the tray and walk over to the bed. "I hope you don't mind but I made us some breakfast."

"Mind? 'Course I don't mind, love. M'not one to turn down food, especially when someone else made it."

"Don't get your hopes up because it's just cereal, yoghurt and some fruit that I found in your ice box," I explain while carefully setting the tray on the bed before sitting down. "Now if we lived together, I could do a whole big Saturday breakfast."

I freeze in my place, realizing what I've just said and apparently it's a shock to him as well since he's not moving or saying anything either. In the awkward silence, I make sure my robe's collar is closed and I clear my throat.

"So, which would you fancy first? Cereal or yoghurt?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"If I'm being honest, I'd fancy a wee first."

"Oh I'm sorry, yes, by all means, go uhm . . . I'll just wait here. Shit, of course I'll wait here. Okay I'm going to shut up now so I can stop embarrassing myself."

"No worries, love," he says, pulling the sheet off. "I'll be just a few minutes, so you go ahead and start eating."

"What? No, I can wait. I snuck in a few berries before so I'm not starving. Bottom line; I'll wait for you."

He smiles in my direction, moving to sit on the edge of the bed and he grabs his white cane from the nightstand. I avert my eyes from the sight of him in just his boxer briefs and his tall figure moves out of my peripheral vision.

As he shuts the door, I let out a nervous breath and bury my face in my hands. I'm utterly mortified about what I said because it's clear he doesn't want to move in together. He might not have said the word no, but the way he reacted is proof that he doesn't.

The sound of paws walking on the hardwood floor captures my attention and I look over to see Maggie walking to the closed loo door. She sits next to the door and it dawns on me that she's waiting for her human as if she's worried and it makes me think.

If Harry and I ever did take our relationship to the next level and move in together, where we'd choose to live might be an issue. We'd have more room in my townhouse, but the stairs might make it more challenging for both Harry and Maggie. If we lived here, we'd be cramped, but it would be easier for him to get around since he already has it memorized and there aren't any stairs.