Chapter 51 • New and Improved

"Thanks for keeping me company on my way into work, Dad."

"I've quite enjoyed our chat. You sound happy," he says through the speaker of my phone that's mounted on my dashboard and I turn off the engine.

"I am happy."

"And that makes me happy, peanut," he says and I grin at his nickname for me. "Alright, now that you're safe and sound at work, I'd hate to make you late walking inside. Can't wait to see you and Harry at Christmas."

"We're excited, too, Dad. Alright, I should go now, but I'll talk to you later. Give Martha and Mum my love."

"Will do. Bye, JJ."

"Bye, Dad," I reach up to press the End Call button and I notice that I have a new notification.

I tap on the alert and it takes me to Messages where there's a new VoiceNote from Harry. My smile is uncontrollable as I tap on the Play button and his voice comes through the speaker.

"Hey, love. I just wanted to let you know that I'm thinking about you and I hope that you have a wonderful day. I miss you. I love you. Oh, this is Harry, your boyfriend, by the way."

Shaking my head with a smile at his humour, I tap the button to reply, "I got your VoiceNote. It's a good thing you identified yourself cos I'd think it was my other boyfriend. I'm kidding, love. It was really sweet. I hope you have a lovely day as well and we'll talk later tonight? Hopefully. Alright. I love you. And I miss you, too. Oh, and this is JJ, your girlfriend. Muah."

As I press Send, I glance up at the time displayed on my phone and my smile fades.

"Shit, now I'm really gonna be late," I say to myself, grabbing my things and I hurriedly get out of the car.

The chilly air makes me walk even faster through the parking garage and as I approach the double doors, I get my employee badge ready to scan. Once I'm inside, I greet Trish at the front desk and she stares at me with her jaw dropped.

"Well, good morning to you," I tease and she gets up to follow me.

"Yeah, yeah, good morning and all that. I want to know what's going on."

"What? Nothing's going on and why are you following me to my office?" I playfully ask as I drop my purse and shoulder bag onto my desk.

"Because I want to know why," she crosses her arms while I hang my coat on the hook behind the door.

"Know what?"

"Don't be coy, love. I'm your best mate-"

"Second best mate," Emmet interrupts by poking his head in the doorway before stepping inside my office.

"Ugh, I've told you both that I'm not ranking either of you."

"Tied for first?" he gives a cheesy grin and I roll my eyes.

"Fine, sure," I absentmindedly say while logging into my computer to clock in. I let out a sigh, returning my attention to the two most infuriating, wonderful best mates I could ask for. "Is there coffee in the break room?"

"Yes. Lily made it about ten minutes ago. We can all go with you and you tell us all what's going on."

"But there's nothing going on," I playfully groan, inching my way between them. "If you'll both excuse me . . ."

As I walk down the hallway, the quiet chatter behind me lets me know they're following me and I sigh a heavy breath. I walk inside the break room and head straight to the coffee maker, inhaling the glorious aroma.