Chapter 45 • Two Birds, One Stone

"Here's the last one," I say, carefully placing the plate in his hands and he thanks me.

After I scrub the inside of the sink clean, I turn off the faucet and wring out the sponge before setting it in the holder. While Harry finishes drying the dish, I dry my hands and wait for him.

Dinner was different, to say the least. Even though we've apologized, our wounds are still fresh and I'm sure we will be treading lightly for a little while.

"Here you go, love, all dry," he hands me the plate and I stack it on top of the other plate.

"Now that that's done, care to have a chat now?"

"Yeah, come, let's get comfortable on the couch," he says, holding out his hand for mine. "Is Maggie settled?"

"Yes, she's napping off her dinner in her cozy little bed," I reply and he smiles in acknowledgement as we sit down on the sofa.

"Alright then, what's on your mind?" he asks, pushing his sunnies further up his nose.

"That's a loaded question," I say half-jokingly and he laughs nervously. "I think you can guess. I want to talk about us. You were right."

"I was?" he clears his throat, acting more serious. "I mean yes, I was. What was I right about?"

I shake my head with a smile, "You make me laugh, Harry."

"Laughter is good. Better than crying."

"True, true," I sigh out a breath, hoping to bring the seriousness back. "I'm ready to talk about the underlying issue of what happened today at brunch."

"Okay. I'm all ears, but I have to be since I have no sight."

"Harry, please."

"Sorry, love. M'just nervous," he sighs, lowering his head and I squeeze his hand.

"I know. Me, too. I'll start then, okay?" I ask and he nods, situating himself on the couch to face me.

"Okay, talk to me and be honest, please."

"Alright. I know I'm overweight; always have been. I'm used to my size, I'm comfortable even, but others aren't. I've endured teasing and harsh words from strangers, and my family, but it's never happened in front of someone who loves loves me. Of course those lads' comments and sound effects today hurt my feelings, but I was more embarrassed that you heard it."

"Ah, I get it. So when I kept offering to say something to those jerks, it only made you more embarrassed?"

"Yes, but that still didn't give me the right to bite your head off," I admit and he stays very quiet. "I should've explained it right then and there but I let my emotions take over. Will you forgive me?"

"I already have, love. Remember?"

Smiling in relief, I cup his cheek, "You're too good to me."

A soft smile teases his lips, "Now, just so we understand each other, I won't say anything from now on, unless you ask me to. Fair?"

"Fair."

"Okay, but just know that I'll always want to defend you. I love you, JJ."

"Thank you. I love you, too, Harry."

I lean in close and pause, waiting for him to make a move. His hand finds my knee and slides up my thigh to my waist and he leans in close. Tilting my head to the right, I close my eyes and inhale sharply through my nose when our lips touch.

He hums and leans back, "Wait."

"What's the matter?"

"What did you mean earlier when you said we rushed into things? Do you think we're rushing?"