Chapter 52 • Holiday Spirit

My fingers nervously fidget with the cuffs of my suit coat as JJ slows the car down. I inhale a shallow breath and quietly blow it out as to not draw attention to myself. No matter how many times JJ has said there's no reason for me to be nervous about her office's holiday party, I'm still incredibly nervous.

I've had a couple weeks to mentally prepare for this night, but I'm still nervous. I've already met her best mates, but this is where I'll meet her coworkers and boss and I don't want to say or do anything to embarrass her.

"Oh, this is fancier than I expected. There's valet service," JJ muses and I feel the car turn slowly before coming to a complete stop. "There are a few cars ahead of us so I need your attention right now."

"Yes, love?"

"Let's just have fun tonight, yeah?"

"You could tell?"

"Yes, and there's no need to be nervous," she says and I feel the car slowly pull forward before stopping again. "We're gonna go inside the banquet hall, mingle with my friends, eat some expensive food, and then go back to your place to have a different kind of fun. How does that sound?"

"Mm, sounds good," I reply, trying to hold back my smirk and I clear my throat.

"Good," she simply says and I feel the car pull forward again. "We're up next, but first, I want a kiss," she says, cupping my cheek and I lean in close. Her perfume is sweet and as I breathe in her scent, I feel her lips on mine. She hums into our kiss before pulling away and I hear the click of the seatbelt. "I'll come around to your side."

"Okay," I squeak out, immediately clearing my throat and I hear her open her door.

"Hello, miss," a man says and I can only assume he's part of the valet service. "Here's your ticket for whenever you're ready to leave."

"Thank you," JJ replies sweetly and I click my seatbelt unlocked.

It's only a few seconds later that she opens my door and I unfold my white cane. With her hand holding onto mine, I step out of the car and make sure the seatbelt is tucked away before shutting the door.

"Ready?"

"As ready as I'll ever be," I honestly say and she starts leading me. "Am I dressed appropriately?"

She hums as if she's examining at my attire, "You're the best dressed and most handsome man here."

I huff out a laugh, trying to control my smile at her compliment and I give her elbow a little squeeze. The noise from the parking lot fades as we enter the building and cheery holiday music and chatter overtake my senses now.

"This is more posh than I expected," JJ says and I tilt my head closer to better hear her. "Oo, they have a bar. Would you like to get a drink first?"

"Sure, if you do."

"I could go for a drink," she muses. "Want to go with me or sit at the table?"

"Whichever's easiest for you, love."

"Hmm, it's filling up rather quickly. We should probably claim our table if we don't want to get stuck at the table next to the loos."

"Alright, just lead the way, love."

She starts walking and as I follow her, someone calls out JJ's name. I don't recognize the voice, but JJ kindly replies and stops us from walking.

"So good to see you, JJ."

"You as well. Can you believe they went all-out with this party?"

"I can't believe it, but this venue is absolutely stunning. And who's this handsome young man next to you?"