Chapter 38 • Flirty Lines

I've actually lost count at the direct and indirect insults JJ's mum hurled at both of us in the two hours we were at their house. Now I know JJ wasn't exaggerating when she warned me about her mum. I'd like to think I kept my composure as to not embarrass her, but that doesn't mean I didn't want to give her mum a piece of my mind.

What parent insults their daughter's choice of clothing and insinuates that she needs to eat less in front of her own family? Liza is a different sort and I'm sure Leo will have a few words with her, especially now that I know JJ has a close relationship with him.

"We're here," JJ says, bringing the car to a slow stop and the engine shuts off. "I can't thank you enough."

I turn to face her, "For what, love?"

"You know, for going with me tonight and for calming me down. I swear, if I went alone, I probably would've left before they uncorked the wine," she says with a smile in her tone, making me smile.

"Yeah, your mum definitely isn't afraid to speak her mind, which isn't a bad thing because most people let their fear keep them silent."

JJ hums in agreement, placing her hand on mine, "You're always so kind and understanding, but I wouldn't blame you if you had hit her over the head with your white cane."

"JJ!" I chuckle in surprise. "I'd never, and just the fact you thought of that, love, I dunno-"

"What?" she giggles, smoothing her hand up my arm. "I was just teasing."

"Oh, okay," I close my eyes at the relaxing feel of her hand carding through my hair. "Mm, I like when you do that."

"Yeah?" she asks and I nod in answer. "Well, if we go inside now, I have something in mind that I think you'll like as well." Her suggestive words and tone make me swallow harshly and suddenly my trousers have become too tight. "I'll come around to your side. My neighbor's car is parked there."

I nod in acknowledgement and clear my throat as JJ gets out of the car. I'm not sure what she has planned, but I'm damn excited. The door opens, not even startling me and I unfold my white cane.

JJ helps guide me out of the car and I make sure the seatbelt is tucked away before shutting the door. With my hand on her elbow, we make our way up to the porch and I hear her keys jingle.

"In we go," she says and once we're inside, she shuts the door. "Would you like something to drink?"

"A glass of ice water sounds good. O-or a water bottle, whichever is easiest."

"Alright, do you want to have a seat on the couch while I get our beverages?"

"I can help, if you'd like," I sense her presence close to me and she places her hands on my shoulders. Grinning, I rest my hands on her hips and tilt my head down toward her. "I want to kiss you."

She doesn't respond and the only sound now is the steady stream of the fish tank and our shallow breaths. I'm starting to wonder if I did do something to embarrass her in front of her family and I mentally curse myself.

"I apologize if I-"

"I love you, Harry."

My jaw slacks at her statement and even though we've admitted having those feelings for each other, hearing those words is surreal right now, especially having never heard them from someone outside of my family.

"Oh no, have you changed your mind about me?" JJ worriedly asks.

"What? No no no, love, never. I'm just, a bit in shock. I didn't know you were going to say the actual three small words tonight."