Chapter 14 • Party Animal

"Can I be honest with you?" I nervously bite my lip, waiting for her reply.

"Of course," Gemma says. "That's why I asked for your opinion."

"Okay, while I like the first two pair of sunnies a lot, these don't feel as private, if that makes sense."

"How so? You mean the tint of the lenses?"

"Yeah, and while they're comfy, they don't feel like they cover the eyes fully. I'm sure they're fashionable and trendy enough that you could probably sell these as regular sunnies, but there's too much space between the rims and my cheekbones. Privacy is an important factor for us blind people," I explain, taking the pair off and I hold them out for her to take. "Other than that, I think they're great and you're very talented."

She giggles, patting my shoulder, "Oh Harry, you're so adorable. You're always so kind."

"You've worked hard on these sunnies. I don't want to be rude."

"You couldn't be rude even if you were an actor playing a villain in a movie," she jokes, placing my sunnies in my hand for me and I thank her. "Alright, I'll rework these while you're on your date this afternoon. When is she picking you up, by the way?"

I hum in curiosity and press the button on my watch.

"The time is 1:15PM on Saturday, October fifteen."

"Do you think she forgot?"

"She couldn't have forgotten, Gem. When we talked on the phone last night, she said she was anticipating our date today. She probably just got caught in traffic is all. She'll be here."

If it hadn't been for the late night phone calls and daily texts with JJ, this week would've been unbearable. Not only do I enjoy spending time with her, but knowing that she and her family have gone through a tragedy this week makes being away from her that much worse.

A huffed breath makes me smile and I reach down to pet Maggie who's sat at my feet while I wait for JJ on Gemma's couch. Since we've already planned to go to the nursing home where she volunteers, I won't bring Maggie and I'm already feeling guilty for leaving her behind.

"You told her to pick you up here at the house and not your place, right?"

My jaw slacks as I realize I didn't tell her.

"Shit, lemme call her," I reach into my shirt pocket for my phone and the doorbell rings. "Maybe that's her."

While Gemma answers the door, I stand up from my seat and hurriedly make sure my shirt and trousers are presentable. I'm dressed in what my sister has deemed as relaxed yet impressive for a third date and I couldn't be more grateful for her help.

"Hello, JJ. Come in, come in," Gemma warmly greets her and I hear the door shut.

"Thank you. What a lovely home."

"Oh thank you. Yeah, Michal and I seem to like it."

"Yeah, I can se-" JJ clears her throat. "Thank you very much for the beautiful flowers."

"You're very welcome, love," Gemma cordially replies. "How are you doing?"

"Mm, the beginning of the week was difficult, and the funeral was just-" she pauses, blowing out a breath. "I'm better now that I'm here. Hi, Harry."

I immediately smile, pushing my sunnies further up on the bridge of my nose, "Hello, JJ."

"M'sorry I'm late. I had knocked on your door and when you didn't answer, I thought you'd be over here," she explains and I sense her presence in front of me now.