Chapter 27 • Trick Or Treat

Letting out a nervous breath, I take the last step up the porch to Gemma's house and I press the doorbell. I hear commotion and Maggie's barks through the closed front door and as I stand here in my silks, I'm starting to second guess my costume choice.

Since my old jockey uniform seems to have magically shrunk on the top shelf of my closet over the years, I had to improvise and shop around for the perfect jockey uniform. Luck was on my side last weekend and thankfully I found everything from the helmet to the riding boots.

(A/N: JJ's costume, minus the horse 😂 and that is really Georgina Burke! She was an actual equestrian before becoming a plus-size model

(A/N: JJ's costume, minus the horse 😂 and that is really Georgina Burke! She was an actual equestrian before becoming a plus-size model.)

The rushed sound of footsteps make my heart begin to pound faster and the door opens abruptly.

"Ah, hello, JJ. Glad you could come," Gemma greets me with a smile, waving me inside. "Come in, come in."

"Thank you, and I love the fairy costume," I reply with a cordial smile, noticing him in my peripheral vision.

"Thank you. Any excuse to dye my hair pastel pink. Now if you two will excuse me, I'll get Mum and Michal and we'll head out," Gemma says and as I nod in acknowledgment, I feel a lump begin to form in my throat even though I've had a week to prepare for meeting their mum.

"Hello, JJ." His voice immediately calms my nerves and I turn to face him.

"Hello, Harry, or should I call you Sir Elton?"

"Ha! If you want, love. I'm pretty much in character already."

Smirking in my direction, he stands from the couch and grabs onto Maggie's harness cleverly tied into her honeybee costume. Harry's replica of Elton John's famous Dodger uniform is covered in what appears to be hundreds, maybe thousands of shiny sequins and it's spot on with the flamboyant sunnies.

 Harry's replica of Elton John's famous Dodger uniform is covered in what appears to be hundreds, maybe thousands of shiny sequins and it's spot on with the flamboyant sunnies

(A/N: Harry's costume. Isn't he just the cutest?)

"You look great- oh shit, I'm sorry. I mean-"

"It's okay, JJ," he chuckles amusedly, "and thank you. I've always liked that concert of his; the song selection and the crowd reaction are simply phenomenal. Gem described his outfit to me and I've just loved it for some strange reason. And when you played his album that time we were at your place, I knew that's what I wanted to be for Halloween."