Chapter 26 • A Bigger Smile

There's another round of knocks at the door and I stand from the couch.

"Be right there! Alright, Maggie, take me to the front door please," I command, grabbing hold of the harness and she starts leading me across the room. She stops us from walking and I feel around for the doorknob. "Who is it?"

"It's me."

I recognize Gemma's voice and open the door with a smile, "Come in, love."

"Is now a good time to do your stuff?"

"Yeah, if it is for you. I just got off the phone with JJ so it's perfect timing," I reply, feeling her walk by me to step inside and I shut the door.

"Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't you two together just a few hours ago and that was after spending the day before and the night together?"

"In a word; yes," I say with a grin and I hear her giggle. "We like each other's company but more importantly, we fancy each other."

"Are you telling me that the feeling is mutual between you two?"

"Yeah, uhm, we've said that we like each other, a couple times now."

"Weee! I knew it, I just knew you two were a good fit. Wait, a couple times now? Why are you just now telling me? Ah! Never mind. So are you two a couple yet?"

"What did they put in your coffee at brunch?" I joke, earning a tap on my shoulder. "Alright alright, I appreciate your enthusiasm but no, we're not a couple. Not yet at least."

"Oh poo. How come?" her pouting tone makes me laugh.

"Because I'm waiting for the perfect moment to ask her to be my girlfriend. Christ, my first girlfriend at twenty-five bloody years old. How pathetic is that?"

"We'll have none of that kind of talk, love. Be positive isn't just a blood type."

"Heyyy, that's my joke."

"Oh whatever. My point is that there's no sense in being glum because it hasn't been your time, until now, that is. Okay?" she presses for my reply and I oblige with a nod. "Okay, let's get started. I brought over your essential groceries and a few things. I'll put them away then I'll get a load of laundry in the wash. Are all your dirty clothes in the hamper?"

"They should be, oh and the extra sheets JJ slept on and my robe that she wore are in there. Sorry."

"No need to apologize, love. It's not a problem. I'll put the food up if you start gathering the laundry."

"Deal. Alright, Maggie, take me to the closet, please."

She answers me with a heavy snort and leads me across the room. As soon as she stops me, I feel around for the doorknob on the accordion doors to the laundry closet. I push them back and I'm greeted by the fresh scent of detergent and dryer sheets.

"What's this?" Gemma calls out, earning my attention.

"What's what?"

"This half-gone jar of chocolate sauce in the ice box. I don't remember buying that for you last time."

"Oh shit, uhm . . . JJ brought it yesterday. We uhm-"