Barb Goes Missing

Nancy called in the morning telling me her mother wasn't able to drive to school. Nancy mentioned something about Mrs.Wheeler having to bring a casserole to the Byers'. Steve, however, offered to pick me up but I was okay with walking.

I left the house a few minutes earlier than normal to make it to school on time. I enjoyed the crisp air and the sound of leaves crunching under my feet as I walked to school. Nancy and I use to walk to school every morning in middle school but when high school came, everything changed.

A short walk later and the parking lot of the high school was in view distance. I hurried my speed hearing the first bell ring.

After lunch I began walking home when I saw Steve, Carol and Tommy sitting on someone's car.

"Hey Tammy" Steve called out. I walked closer to the group of people not recognizing the ginger.

"Hey guys"

"Where you headed?" Tommy asked who had his arm slinged over Carol's shoulder.

"I'm heading home. I never stay for last period" I said. It looked like Steve was about to say something when I noticed his attention shifted. I saw Jonathan Byers walking up the hills towards I was assuming his car that we were currently stationed at.

"Hey man" Steve said nonchalantly jumping off the hood of the car he was seated on and placing his heads in his pockets.

"What's going on?" Jonathan asked just as confused as I was.

"Nicole here was telling me, uh , about your work" Steve said.

"We've heard great things" Carol said followed by Tommy saying "yeah, sounds cool"

"And we'd just love to take a look. You know, as.... connoisseurs of art" Steve said slowly his tone turned from friendly to serious.

Jonathan looking slightly stressed denied knowing about what they were talking about and tried pushing through Carol and Steve to his car.

Tommy stealthily swept the bag off Byers' shoulder.

"Please, give me my bag" Byers' pleads.

Tommy throws Steve the bag before standing next to him.

"Man, he is totally trembling. He must really have something to hide" Steve said placing the bag on the hood of the car and pulling out what seemed to be photos. I began to walk away when I heard my name being called.

"Here we go. Tammy you might wanna see these" Steve said handing me a photo. It was a picture of Steve, Nancy and I outside shotgunning a beer.

"Wow this isn't creepy at all" Carol said.

"I was looking for my brother" Jonathan said

"No. No this is called stalking" Steve said sounding slightly disgusted.

"What's going on?" Nancy asked.

"Here's the starring lady" Tommy said

"What?" Nancy asked obviously not understanding Tommy's reference.

"This creep was spying on us last night. He was probably gonna save this one for later" carol said before handing Nancy a photo.

Steve than proceeded to rip up the photos and smash his camera. Everyone left including Nancy to head to the game. I bent down to help Byers' pick up the photos and camera pieces.

"They shouldn't have done that" I said trying to break the awkward silence but Jonathan didn't speak. He instead just picked up the camera and drove off.

As I began to walk home Nancy came running out of the school.

"Tammy I need your help. Barb is missing" Nancy said looking extremely concerned.

"She wasn't in school?" I asked and Nancy shook her head no.

"Let's go check if her car is still were we left it last night" I suggested. Nancy shook her head and we both sprinted towards the cars location. As we came up to the corner of the street we saw the car still parked in the same location it was left last night.

Nancy peered into the car seeing her clothes in the passenger seat.

"Barb?" Nancy called out.

"Barb!" We both yelled. We then headed to Steve's house checking out the backyard.

"Barb?" Nancy called out again when we heard a rustling sound come from the woods. We took a few steps into the woods looking around when a sudden loud sound scared us. Nancy and I tried sprinting out of the woods but Nancy tripped.

"C'mon on Nance" I panted grabbing her shoulder, helping her up before running back to the street.

"Did you see that?" Nancy asked

"See what?" I asked Nancy but she ignored me.

We headed back to school to talk to Steve.

When we got back Nancy and Steve talked privately in between the buildings. I hung out around the corner leaning against the wall waiting for Nancy to finish.

"Nancy wait" I heard Steve call followed by "NANCY!"

I pierced around the corner to see Nancy swiftly walking away from Steve.

"I take it, it didn't go well" I said but Nancy kept walking past me. I headed home to keep an eye on Dustin.