Halloween

Nancy, Jonathan and I all shared a few classes this year. As we walked out of science Tina was handing out bright orange sheets of paper.

"Hey Nancy, Tammy" Tina said slipping the paper between our fingers.

"Hey thanks" Nancy said. We both examined the sheet, reading what was printed on it.

"Oh could I get one more" Nancy asked turning around. Tina handed her a sheet.

"You're coming to this" Nancy said handing the extra sheet to Jonathan.

"Come and get sheet faced" Jonathan read aloud.

"Very clever" I said.

"No I'm not" Jonathan said. Nancy and I made a pouting face.

"We can't let you sit all alone Halloween. That's just not acceptable" Nancy exclaimed.

"Well you guys can relax. I'm not gonna be alone. I'm going trick or treating with Will" Jonathan said all happy. Nancy didn't look to convinced.

"All-night?" She asked.

"Yeah"

"No, no way. You're going to be home by 8, listening to the talking heads and reading Vonnegut or something" I said with a raised eyebrow.

"Sounds like a nice night" Jonathan said with a grin. I hit his chest playfully, while Nancy's mouth was open catching flies.

"Jonathan, just come. I mean, who knows, you might even, like, meet someone" Nancy said trying to make it sounds as nice as possible.

Nancy went to open her locker just as Steve surprised her. Lifting her off the ground, making Nancy let out a shriek.

Steve places Nancy on the ground, she then gives him a playful hit on the arm.

"Oh my god! Take those stupid things off" Nancy said

"I missed you" Steve replied while taking the sunglasses off his face.

"It's been like an hour"

"Tell me about it" Steve said placing his hand under Nancy's chin ready to kiss her.

"And that's my cue to leave" I said nudging Jonathan to walk with me.

"So you like her don't you" I said. Jonathan looked down at the ground.

"It's okay I haven't told her if that's what you're afraid of"

"She's with Steve" Jonathan said before turning down the hallway leaving me all alone.
———
The next day was the Halloween party. I wore a pink dress to look like Barbie and was currently hanging out with Steve and Nancy. A bunch of seniors approached us with someone I've never seen before.

"We got ourselves a new keg king, Harrington"

"Yeah that's right!"

"Yeah. Eat it, Harrington"

"This right here is the keg queen" one of the goons said. Nancy stormed off and Steve followed her.

"I'm Billy" the stranger said. "And you're Barbie?"

"My name is Tammy" I said.

"Wanna dance?" Billy asked. Billy was shirtless wearing his motorcycle jacket. His hair was in a mullet, the curls hitting his shoulder.

"I'd love to" I said grabbing his hand which lead me to the dance floor.

Billy and I had just been dancing for a few minutes when I saw Jonathan walk into the house.

"Hey Jonathan you made it. Nancy is over there I think" I said before returning to dancing with Billy.

After dancing to another song Billy whispered in my ears "follow me" his hand grabbed mine and pulled me through the crowd and outside to his car.

He pushed me onto the hood of his car and began to kiss me. The kisses became aggressive and his hands pinned my wrists to the car.

"Billy Stop" I whispered while trying to deflect his mouth on mine. I began to squirm hoping he would get the hint but his grip became tighter.

"Stop" I yelled but again Billy ignored me. Instead he placed his hand on my mouth.

"Shhhh, just be like every other girl and stay quiet" was all he said before someone knocked him to the ground.

"Tammy are you okay?" Steve asked helping me off the hood.

"I am now. Thank you" I said grabbing Steve into a hug. Tears that were once dripping down my face dried up.

"Wheres Nancy ?" I asked in between sniffles.

"I don't know she stormed off, she said our love wasn't real" Steve said looking quite hurt by her words. I walked towards the front door to the house, Jonathan comes out with a drunk Nancy.

"I'm going to drive her home" Jonathan said.

"Can I have ride too?" I asked. Jonathan shook his head and I assisted him with getting Nancy in the passenger seat of the car.

"Bullshit" was all that Nancy could say.

"I'll drop you off first" Jonathan said as he climbed the drivers side.

"Thank you" I said looking out the window.

"Are you okay? You look like you've been crying" Jonathan said placing his hand on the headrest and turning his head to face me.

"I'm fine"

Jonathan turned back around knowing it was better to not say anything then to keep questioning me.

Ten minutes later Jonathan pulled into my driveway.

"Thanks for the ride see you at school tomorrow". I ran into the house.

"Dustin?" My mom called out jumping up from her seat on the couch. She had cat ears on and black attire.

"Oh Tammy. You're home early how was the party?"

"Great mom, great" I said slipping into my room and closing the door.