Why So Distant?

Emily P.O.V.

I've been home for 2 weeks now, and Daniel is still distant. He stays later at the office and sometimes "spends the night in the city." Whatever that means. I need to talk to him about it, but he will just deny the obvious.

I am getting ready upstairs, when I hear the front door open.

"Daniel?" I call out.

"No, it's Charlotte."

"Hi, Char! I'm upstairs," I say. Then I hear footsteps coming up the stairs.

"Oh my goodness! You're getting so big!!" she exclaims.

"I feel even bigger."

"Where's the baby daddy?" Charlotte asks looking around.

"That is actually a very good question. One so good that I can't answer."

"Seriously? I'm going to kill him."

I look at her with disbelief.

"He should be here, Emily. Have you tried calling him?"

"Check my phone." And with that, she grabs my phone and scrolls through my recently called list.

"One, two, three, four,...fifty-two. You called him fifty-two times and he hasn't answered or called back. Do you have any idea where he could be?"

"Look, Char. I know you told me not to think like this, but in this circumstance I think that it's acceptable. Do you think that he could be with someone else?"

"He shouldn't be. But if he is, I'm going to beat his you know what."

"I'm tired of this, Charlotte. I just want him to be home and helping me. I know this is a lot to ask," I start.

"What, Emily?"

"But would you mind staying with me until he comes home again? If he does."

"Absolutely. After what happened a few weeks ago, you need someone watching you."

"Thank you. This means a lot!" I reply, giving her a big hug.

"Should we go get something to eat?"

"I would love that!"

A few minutes later, we are getting in the car.

"Where should we go?" I ask.

"I have been dying to try the new Pancake House. Should we try that?"

"Sounds delicious!"

When we arrive, the waiter seats us and we order our drinks. I feel like someone is here and watching me, and I can tell that Charlotte suspects something.

"Emily? What's wrong?"

"I don't know. I just feel like someo-," I cut myself off because I hear a familiar voice in the background.

"Char, listen," I tell her, "Who does that sound like?"

She looks at me as if she is scared to answer my question.

"It can't be."

I get up from my seat and walk around to the table where I heard the voice coming from.

"I should have expected this!" I say.

"Emi, wha-what are you doing here?" he asks.

"Well, your sister and I were going to have breakfast but after seeing this, I think I've lost my appetite."