Emily's Dream

Emily P.O.V.

Noah is three months old and Daniel is on a business trip in California. Noah is upstairs taking a nap and I am downstairs reading a magazine. Daniel is constantly calling to check in on us. I tell him that we are fine and that he doesn't have to worry. When I am done reading my magazine, I walk upstairs and check on Noah. When I see that he is sleeping in his crib peacefully, I smile. I walk into my room and fall onto the bed. When my head hits the pillow, I'm out.

~~~~~Emily's dream~~~~~

Noah was four and the three of us were playing in the water.

"Daniel, how would you feel if I told you I was pregnant?"

"Oh...Em. Are you? I would think that's amazing!"

"I-I don't know if I am. I've just been feeling really different lately."

He puts his hand on my back and rubs it reassuringly.

"Well, if you want to go check, I can stay here with Noah," Daniel says, "And Em, no matter what, I love you."

"I love you too," I say and walk back to the house.

I go upstairs to the master bathroom and take a test.

Not pregnant.

I saw the light in Daniel's eyes when I brought up the fact that I might be pregnant. I don't want to see him sad. I throw the test away and skip back to the beach smiling.

"A-Are you..." Daniel starts, but I cut him off.

"Congratulations, Daddy," I tell him. I feel so bad for lying, but he looks so happy.

"Hey, Noah. You're going to be a big brother," Daniel tells him.

"YYYAAAYYY!!!" Noah screams.

~~~~~End of Emily's dream~~~~~

I wake up startled and sweaty. I keep asking myself if that was real or not, but then I remember Daniel is away and Noah isn't even 1 yet.

Phew. That was scary.

I couldn't imagine lying to my husband about something like that. It just doesn't seem real. Okay, sure. I lied to him about something ginormous and very important in a relationship before...My name. But this is totally different.

I get up and walk into Noah's room. I pick him up and bring him downstairs. He is slowly starting to wake up and I bounce him carefully.

"Should we call Daddy?"

His eyes light up and I dial Daniel's number.

He picks up on the second ring.

"Emily? Is something wrong? Is Noah okay?"

"Daniel...Noah is fine. We both are. We just wanted to call and ask how you are doing."

"Oh...I'm fine. I miss you both terribly."

"We miss you, too. When are you coming home?"

"In 2 days, Emi."

"Ugh. I can't wait that long."

"I know. I'm sorry. Maybe we can FaceTime later."

"That sounds great. I'm going to feed Noah, then I'll call you. Okay?"

"Alright. That sounds great. I love you, Emily."

"I love you, too. Bye, Daniel."

"Bye, Emily."

After I hang up, I bounce Noah for a little bit longer, feeding him afterwards.