Chapter 20

Flashback...

The weather was cold and charming with light breeze blowing on it's own rhythm. The sky was clear, shining with stars, brightening at every second everywhere making the atmosphere all the more romantic for couples.

A peaceful kind of silence was blowing with the breeze, calming every scared hearts. Not even a sound of cricket was heard, giving the environment it's own privacy to speak in it's own language.

Love was present in the air, hitting it's target with full force and unaware of the things that were revolving around Laiba and Ashar, both of them sitting beside each other, on a park bench, both lost in their own thoughts.

"I'm sorry" she whispered ever so softly making his heart churn with the softness of her voice.

"Don't have to be. It wasn't your fault!" He smiled, but his smile not reaching his eyes.

"You aren't angry with me for coercing you to come with me?" Hope for the positive response from him was very much evident in her tone.

Chuckling, he shook his head, "Now when I think of it, I'm glad that I came with you."

Unaware of her heart skipping a beat and thousands of butterflies becoming alive, she smiled at his response.

Taking a spoonfull of her butterscotch ice cream, she said, "I don't have a very good relation with my mother" her thoughts taking her back to the conversation that she had in the car while going to the party.

"Very well aware of that!" He nodded his head, taking a spoonfull of his butterscotch ice cream.

"No matter how much I try, she just gets on my nerves and I can't stop myself from hating her more." She said clenching her fists tight.

It didn't take a second also for Ashar to not realize the anger that was riling up inside her.

"You know, I'm no one to comment on your relationship with your Mother because we still haven't crossed that border line which gives us the right to speak out our thoughts freely but one thing, I really want to share with you" he looked at her and she motioned him to go on.

"Religion Islam commands us to honor our parents, to obey them, to respect their opinion, and be kind to them. Allah Almighty says in the Noble Quran: "Worship Allah and join none with Him in worship, and do good to parents" (Quran, 4:36). Parents are the ones who have been with us through almost everything in our lives that's why we should be devoted to them. Respecting parents is one of the most significant aspects of Islam.

There are many verses in the Holy Quran where kindness to parents is even mentioned with the most important aspect of Islam that is worshipping Allah alone. Allah Almighty says in another verse of the Holy Quran: "Your Lord has decreed that you worship none but Him and that you be kind to parents. Whether one or both of them attain old age in your life, say not to them a word of contempt, nor repel them, but address them in terms of honor." (Quran, 17:23)

The above-mentioned verse of Holy Quran cleared that no word of disrespect should be uttered toward parents. Honoring parents can be considered a form of worship if the intention is to please Almighty Allah by respecting His commands. Allah (SWT) advised us to show kindness, respect, and humility to our parents.

Once a companion of the Prophet Muhammad (SAW) asked Him which of the many good deeds a man can do is the most loved by Almighty Allah. Prophet Muhammad (SAW) answered him by saying,"To offer the prayer in its proper time". The companion then asked, "And what is next?" to which Prophet Muhammad replied, "To be good and dutiful to your parents..." (Bukhari)