Prologue

A-23's POV

I was laying down on the cold floor of my room. I wish I could tell you my name, but I never knew my real name. The men dressed in white always called me A-23. The others had names similar to mine like C-13, K-45, and G-34. The men in white even tattooed it on our wrists.

I never got to leave my room, except for when it was time for another test. I had a small window in my room. Every night I would look out that window and see the shiny things in the sky. I always dreamed of leaving this room and running through the field outside, looking up at those shiny things.

I raised my hand to 1 of my ears and rubbed it. I was a hybrid of a creature that the men in white called a zinogre. Apparently they're supposed to have the power to absorb electricity, which is why the tests I'm in usually involved these things called thunderbugs.

Suddenly, the door to my room opened. I looked up and saw 2 of the men in white.

???: Time for another test. Hopefully you won't screw this one up.

I crawled out of my room on all fours and they led me to the usual test area. I was put into a room that I knew all too well. In the middle of the room was a thunder bug nest. Men in white stood in the observing spot. 1 of them spoke.

???: Now, I assume you know what to do, A-23.

I nodded.

???: Good. You may begin.

I crawled towards the nest and stopped. Thunder bugs buzzed around it. I reached my hand out to the nest. 1 thunder bug landed on my hand. I reached my finger out to touch it, but before I could, I zapped me. I yelped in pain.

???: Oh, you've gotta be kidding me! Try again!

I didn't want to, I just looked at the man in white.

???: WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

I hesitantly reached my hand out again 7 thunder bugs landed on my arm. I shook out of fear of being zapped again. This caused them to react and give me a painful shock.

???: OH FOR GOD'S SAKE!

The man in white stormed out of the observing spot and grabbed me by the arm. He dragged me back to my room and threw me inside.

???: you can forget having your dinner tonight.

He slammed the door behind him. I pressed my back against the wall and put my knees up to my chin. Tears began to pour from my eyes.

To be honest, this isn't the first time this happened. Whenever I failed a test or disobeyed the men in white I'd be punished. All the tests they make me do are always painful. I've gotten a few scar because of them. I would cry every single night until I fell asleep. Even then it was difficult because of the screams of the other experiments.

My life so far has been nothing but pain and abuse. The men in white would punishment me in many different ways from beatings to starvation.

I looked out of the window of my room and saw the shiny things in the sky. I got up a put my hands on the bars as I looked out into the field outside. Suddenly, a lone thunder bug landed on the windowsill. I looked at it.

Suddenly, it flew off of the windowsill and landed on the center of my forehead. I held completely still so it wouldn't shock me. It began crawling further up my head until it was crawling through my hair.

I felt a sudden tingle as I felt my hair stand on end. The tingling feeling moved threw my body. I looked at my hand and saw electricity coursing through my fingertips. Just then 4 more thunder bugs came through the window and join their friend.