Chapter 9: Saying Goodbye

(Y/n)'s POV

We walked into town after meeting Nomad. We got to the smithy and I presented to him one of the rathalos' scales. He took it and smiled at the proof of my confirmed kill.

Smithy: good work

I went into the backroom and came back with the blades I wanted.

Smithy: here ya go, you've earned them.

I took them and swung them around for a bit before putting them on my back.

(Y/n): this was so worth it.

We made our way outside and began looking for a place to eat. Suddenly, we heard a commotion right around the corner. We turned it and I immediately felt my eyes twitch.

People were pulling in a zinogre on a large cart. It was tied down with numerous lengths of rope. This wasn't just any zinogre, it was one of my siblings.

Kyanna's POV

???: This thing was just wandering through the forest when I swooped in and captured in.

I looked at the townsfolk hauling in a zinogre on a cart. I looked at (y/n) for a second and saw him fuming. Electricity surged all over his body. Fury shined in his eyes as he charged at the cart. He grabbed the hunter that caught the zinogre and slammed his head into the pavement, knocking him out cold.

(Y/n) grabbed one of his blades off his back and cut one of the ropes restraining the zinogre. The rest of he monsters restraints broke as it rose to it's feet and let out a loud howl. Without any hesitation, (y/n) leaped onto it's back. Citizens ran in fear as they both began running through town. When they go the the wall surrounded the city, the zinogre scaled the wall and leaped to the other side, into the forest.

Me and my friends just looked on with thousand yard stares, still trying to process what had happened in that short period of time. Everyone's eyes shot in our direction. Then my dad came out of the crowd of people. He spoke in a calm yet disapproving tone of voice.

Shepard: what was that about?

Kyanna: uh, honestly I'm not sure. He just ran into the crowd, knocked that guy out, and took off with that zinogre.

Just then his right-hand man, Alexander, came up behind him.

Alexander: um, sir?

Shepard: *sigh* what is it Alexander?

Alexander: I saw what he was doing, I saw the look in his eyes. I think he was protecting that zinogre.

Shepard: what do you mean?

Alexander: his behavior, it was fairly similar to that of a mother glavenus protecting her babies. I think (y/n) has a special bond with that zinogre.

Shepard: ok...

He turned to us.

Shepard: I want you to track him down and bring him back here. Alexander, go with them.

Alexander: WHAT?! SIR, I'M JUST A RESEARCHER, I'M NOT READY FOR FIELD WORK!

Shepard: are you disobeying orders?

Alexander: n-no, sir.

Timeskip brought to you by chibi Alexander shaking like a leaf

We walked through the forest while Alexander was cowering at the back of the group. I never liked being around him, he's always working and usually around my dad.

Cody: so where do you think he went?

Kyanna: no idea, but I doubt he got too far.

Alexander: THIS IS SUCH A BAD IDEA!

Kyanna/Cody/Erma: WOULD YOU SHUT UP ALREADY!

Seriously, that was the seventh time he said that.

(Y/n)'s POV

We arrived back at the den and I hopped off of my sibling's back. My mother and my other siblings came out of the cave, and when they saw me, they bolt over to me, smothering with affection.

I laughed. They must have been so worried about me when I was gone. I rubbed my mother's head as she nuzzled into my chest. All our ear perked as we began to hear footsteps and voices.

???: Guys, over hear!

I turned around and saw Kyanna enter the clearing. Cody, Erma and another guy came out after her.

My mother let out a low snarl at the sight of them. I extended my hand towards them, gesturing for them to not come any closer.

(Y/n): don't move a muscle!

They looked at each other and then back to me.

Kyanna: what are you doing here?

I looked to my family and back to them.

(Y/n): this...is my family.

Kyanna: what?!

(Y/n): when I was a kid, they found me in a river and brought me back to their cave. I've called them my family ever since.

Suddenly, an idea came to mind. I walked over to Kyanna and grabbed her by the wrist. I began leading her over to my family. I stopped in front of my mother. I began moving her hand up to her head, but she tried to pull away.

(Y/n): it's ok, she won't hurt you.

She stopped resisting and allowed me to guide her hand over to my mother's head. Her hand pressed against her fur. Kyanna seem to relax a bit. I let go of her wrist and let her hands run through my mother's fur on their own.

Kyanna: she's so soft.

(Y/n): I know right?

Kyanna: um, (y/n)...

(Y/n): yeah?

Kyanna: we actually came here to bring you back to town.

(Y/n): yeah, I figured as much. Your dad must be pissed.

Kyanna: well, let's get going.

She walked over to the others, but when I tried to follow her, my mother bit down on the back of my shirt and lifted my up.

(Y/n): uh, they don't want me to leave.

Erma: what?

(Y/n): they want me to stay here with them.

Cody: well, tell them you can't.

(Y/n): I can't, I'm only able to communicate through body language.

She dropped me. I got to my feet and looked into my mother's eyes. It was obvious that she wanted me to stay. I pressed our heads together as a sign of farewell and turned to walk away. When I got back to the others I heard howling from behind me.

My mother and my siblings were howling for me. I smiled and began to howl as well. We stopped and I turned to Kyanna.

Kyanna: now lets go home.

He entered the forest, but not before I looked back to my family and smiled one last time.