Chapter 5: Becoming A Hunter

A-23's POV

I was sitting in Night Walker's den, looking at a book. I knew how to read, but I kinda forgot what a book was. The one I was reading was full of many different words. I began sounding them out.

A-23: s-serpant.

Suddenly, I felt my stomach growl. I crawled to the room that had all the food. I opened 1 of the cabinets and licked my lips.

Kyanna's POV

Me, Cody, and Erma were wandering around the market. We looked around at the various stands, searching for stuff to buy.

Erma: hm, should we get him some clothes? I mean, we've only seen him wear a pair of shorts.

She was right, the only thing he was wearing was a pair of shorts made of animal fur.

Kyanna: yeah, we should probably get him some new clothes. It would be weird if he was just walking around town half naked.

Cody: or crawling in his case.

I walked over to a clothes stand and started browsing through the selection. I looked behind the vender and saw a blue jacket with white fur and the edges and matching pants.

Kyanna: how much for those?

Vender: oh these, nice aren't they? They're 250 zenny.

I handed him the money and bought some other clothes while I was at it.

Cody: should we get him a weapon too?

Kyanna: yeah, but we should ask him what he wants. It's pretty obvious that he doesn't like bowguns. Erma, you might wanna change your weapon.

Erma: aw man, but I spent so much time getting the right materials for it.

We spent a few more hours in he market before we started to head home.

Erma: what'd you think he's doing now?

Kyanna: probably still reading that dictionary I gave him.

We got back and I opened the door to see a mountain of book in the middle of the room with the boy sitting on top of it.

Cody: HOLY CRAP!

He didn't seems to care that we were back and continued reading an encyclopedia on monster biology.

Erma: HOW MANY BOOKS DID YOU READ!

He pointed at the wall and we saw it covered in claw marks that kept track of how many books he read.

Kyanna: um, did you eat anything while we were gone?

He pointed towards the kitchen and we saw that it was a complete wreck.

Cody's eye twitched.

???: Yeah, sorry about that. When I get hungry I tend to loose control.

All our eyes widened and we looked at the boy.

Kyanna: did you just...

???: Talk? Yeah, I had some time to read and learned how to speak in the process.

He held up a book that was titled How To Talk.

Me and Cody turned and looked at Erma.

Cody: why do you have that?

Erma just shrugged her shoulders.

Kyanna: well, this make things a lot easier. So, you got a name.

???: Um.

He hopped down from the mountain of books and crawled over to us. He showed us his wrist. A-23.