Chapter 10: A Rival's Apology

(Y/n)'s POV

After we got back to town, I was properly lectured and punished for what I did. I've been a part of the hunter's guild for about a week now. The other hunter's have started referring to me as The Thunder Wolf Hunter.

As for my pack, the commander put a restriction saying that nobody is allowed to hunt any zinogres in that area of the forest.

I was currently laying down in my hammock eating my breakfast. My ears quickly perked up when I heard a knock at the door. Kyanna and the others were at the market, so I got up and answered it myself. I opened the door only to see...

(Y/n): Kestin?

Kestin: h-hey, (y/n).

He took a deep breath before speaking again.

Kestin: look, I just wanted to apologize for last week. I was being stupid and just trying to show off, and because of that, you managed to utterly kick my ass.

(Y/n): yeah. How those ribs doing by the way?

Kestin: all healed up. It was nothing a few max potions couldn't fix.

(Y/n): well maybe I should've hit you harder.

He flinched.

(Y/n): I'm just kidding. Anyway, is that all you came here for?

Kestin: not really. I actually came here to see if you'd like to join me on a hunt.

I thought for a bit.

(Y/n): sure, what are we hunting?

Kestin: oh, you're gonna love this. People have reported sightings of a gore magala in the mountains. So we need to find and kill it.

(Y/n): sounds good to me. Let's get going.

I grabbed my dual blades and we both made our way to the mountains.

Timeskip brought to you by chibi (y/n) stomping angrily on a konchu

Me and Kestin were making our way up the mountain. It was at that moment that I realized something. I know absolutely nothing about gore magalas. I had never read anything about them in any books. I turned to Kestin.

(Y/n): hey Kestin, would you mind telling me about gore magalas?

Kestin: uh, sure. Well, their most notable trait is it's ability to produce something called the frenzy virus.

(Y/n): what's that?

Kestin: it's a virus that a has a really negative effect on monsters. You see when a monster is infected with the frenzy virus...IT DIES!

(Y/n): oooo, that's bad.

Kestin: but then it wakes up.

(Y/n): that's good.

Kestin: and for a few days goes on an unstoppable, unending, bloodthirsty rampage, killing everything in sight.

(Y/n): that's bad.

Kestin: and then...IT DIES AGAIN!

(Y/n): ok then.

Kestin: but it doesn't effect humans in the same way.

(Y/n): but I'm half zinogre.

Kestin: ...

(Y/n): ...

Kestin: well, let's just hope for the best. What's life without a little risk?

(Y/n): if I die and come back to life, you're the first thing I'm killing.

After a while of walking, we were halfway up the mountain when I heard something from. I put my arm out in front of Kestin, gesturing for him to stop. We peeked around the corner and saw a monster with black scales and no visible eyes. it's wings rested on it's shoulders as it looked around the area.

Kestin: so what's the plan?

(Y/n): follow me.

We crouched down and we made our way around the corner, towards the monster. I climbed on top of a big boulder and Kestin did the same with another one.

The gore magala walked between the 2 boulders and I nodded at Kestin. We took out our weapons. We both quickly jumped off the boulder. Kestin raised his hammer and slammed it on the center of the monster's head. I took my blade and slashed at it's wings. I landed on the ground while Kestin managed to mount the thing. He began stabbing it's head with his carving knife.

(Y/n): take that thing down!

Kestin then took his hammer and slammed it into the gore magala's face, knocking it over. We began repeatedly slashed and bashing at it with our weapons, not stopping to breath. A few seconds, it got back up and roar in rage.

2 horns sprouted from it's head and the sun was blocked out slightly.

Kestin: get ready, shit's about to get real!

The gore magala began blasting black balls of what I assumed was the frenzy virus I dodged them, but Kestin wasn't so lucky. 1 hit him in the chest, causing him to drop to 1 knee.

(Y/n): you ok?!

Kestin: I'm fine, the virus only effects my ability to heal naturally. This isn't my first time taking on this kind of beast.

I ran towards the monster and channeled electricity threw my blades. I leap up onto the monsters back and stabbed my swords into it's back, shocking it. It roared it pain, but I didn't let up.

Kestin look up at the cliff above up and saw a cluster of boulders at the edge. He picked up a rock an chucked at the boulders the tumbled off the cliff and fell down town me and the monster.

Kestin: LOOK OUT!

I looked up and saw the boulders heading toward me. I jumped off the monster's back and dove to the ground the large rocks fell on top of the monster and I roar in pain before it's body went limp. Kestin walked over to me and helped me to my feet. We took a moment to breath before  looking at our kill.

Kestin: well, that just happened.

(Y/n): yeah, that was pretty clever.

Kestin: you don't get to be Hunter rank  200 without knowing a few tricks.

We collected our winnings and made our way back to town.

I saw Kyanna, Cody, and Erma and waved them over. They ran over to me, but I noticed that they had concerned expressions on their faces.

Kyanna: (Y/N), YOU NEED TO SEE THIS! COME ON!

She grabbed my by the wrist and pulled my towards the center of town. Where I saw a shocking sight. A hunter on a stretcher with a dozen black feathers sticking out of his back. He wasn't dead, just out cold.

(Y/n): what happened?

His partner spoke.

???: I-it came out of nowhere and attacked us! If we had stayed any longer we would have been dead!

I walked over to the unconscious Hunter and took 1 of the feathers out of his back.

(Y/n): it just looks like ordinary nargacuga feathers.

???: You don't understand! This thing was faster, tougher, smarter! It was like it was predicting our movements before we made them, like it was toying with us.

I thought for a bit then what she said next shocked me.

???: It looked almost...human.