Daydreaming

"Anything?"

"Nope. Leon, I told you; there's nothing to find. Sarah was killed. We need to focus on newer cases." I stepped off of the aged porch.
Leon had some bright idea to search Sarah's old house for any more leads.

"C'mon! We have something, this is the first we've got, and if we just drop it it'll be the last thing." Leon's tone was serious. I knew damn well he wouldn't give this up...

"Whatever. Let's just get to school, we're late. Again." I stated, getting my bag, and turning to him expectantly.

"I'm gonna skip out today. I won't be able to focus if I don't find something."

"Alright, if you say so." I responded with a sigh.
I was hesitant to leave him alone, but I went on ahead anyways. The school wasn't too far away so I got there shortly, but of course, I got cussed out by my mathematics teacher.

"My bad. It won't happen again." I bluntly stated. I could hear my classmates snicker at my poor attempt of getting out of trouble.

"It better not! This has happened too many damned times (Y/N)! Where's your little friend Leon, by the way? ... Is he skipping?!"

"Skipping? ... No, he's uhm... Sick?" I stumbled over myself in my own lie.

"Just go to your seat!"
With a shrug, I went to my seat, trying to avoid the stares I was getting. Luckily, my seat was in the back, so I wouldn't have to deal with anymore glares the entire time.
The teacher continued his lecture about being late... Chances are he'll never get to the actual lessons, I mean, he never does. He always has something to bitch about, which leads to us never learning anything. Nonetheless, we still take occasional tests. It's no wonder our school is the lowest scoring in the state.

My mind drifted to other things; To Sarah.
Her disappearance did affect me at the time. I had a crush on her, we were friends. When she went missing, we were getting very close. I was planning on asking her out to the school dance.
It was almost like the universe was saying "No." ... Now that I think about it, a lot of people who went missing I had ties with, and
I've honestly gotten used to it. I wonder if this was normal for others as well, to lose so many.

"(Y/N), would you stop daydreaming? It's lunchtime!"

"Huh?" I was snapped out of my trance by a familiar voice. A boy with strawberry-blonde hair and blue eyes was leaning on my desk, just inches away from my face.

Instinctively, I pulled away in order to gain some space.
"Sorry, but who are you?" The boy looked offended by my question, but answered nonetheless.

"A-Ah. I guess I never introduced myself... The name's Nathan."

"... Right." He was the person that everyone stays away from, the weird one. I don't know why he was considered weird, he looks normal... But he did give off a certain vibe, and, he did just approach me without warning, which is—In my book—definitely considered not normal.

.....

"Okay, well I guess I'll see you around?"
It was obvious I was just trying to get away from him at this point. I got up from my desk, hoping Nathan wouldn't say anything else.

"Wait! I-I was actually hoping I could sit with you during lunch." I froze in surprise. I had to find some sort of excuse, but I came up with nothing.

"Eh... Sure, I guess." I shrugged, still very cautious of the person.

There was a moment of silence. I awkwardly waved him on and started treading to the cafeteria. I could already tell today was going to be a hassle; it always was, whenever I was without Leon. He would crack jokes, he was basically the party of my life for me. Honestly, he'd make my days just a little bit brighter.

We stayed pretty quiet during lunch, only chatting every once and awhile, which only made things even more terribly awkward. I wasn't quite sure which one of us made it that way, but I'm willing to say it was him for approaching me in the first place.
The last interaction me and Nathan had was waving goodbye to each other before heading back to class.

Fortunately, Leon decided to show up when the dismissal bell finally rang.
I guess that means he found a clue?
"Did you find anything Leo?" I said as I approached his desk. Leo was the lazy nickname I decided to make for him awhile back.
"Yep!" He replied quickly, he was obviously stressed...

"You know you can ALWAYS take a break if you need to," I said sitting down beside him.

"I know." He turned to me, his eyes sunken in from lack of sleep, "But I don't want to."

I flicked his forehead. "But you need to, you look like a train wreck."

He shrugged, ignoring my advice. "Here's what I found, by the way, it basically changes everything." He handed me an old phone.

I opened it up. It already had Sarah's messages open. It was just her talking to one of her friends about the note. Sarah must've decided not to go and meet the person because the messages go on till 12AM.

"So, that begs the question if the person who wrote the note is the one who killed her."

"Exactly." Leon confirmed, seeming prideful in his findings.
"And... How're we possibly going to figure out who wrote the note?" I asked.

"That part's easy."

I rose an eyebrow. "How? That seems impossible. Hell, the note was barely even readable.

"We ask around."
I was dumbfounded by his answer.

"... And how do we know they're telling the truth?"

Nathan sat back in his chair with a cheeky grin.
"You're pretty good at detecting a liar, (Y/N). Remember when you caught Mrs.Wicks with cigarettes in her bag?"

"Leon, that was years ago." I said, shaking my head.

"They say that when you have a talent you never lose it!"

"Whoever said that?" I cocked my head to the side at his nonsense.

"I did~" He had the most smuggest look on his face.
I rolled my eyes.
"My parents are going to be home soon, I better go ahead and leave." I said, standing and lifting my bag over my shoulder.

"Right! I'm going to head over to the library, so I'll see you tomorrow at school?"

"Yeah, see ya!" I waved as I left the classroom.

Tomorrow's going to be a long day...

________________________________
What's good guys? I hope y'all find this story interesting, and if you do than stay psyched because this is only the beginning. The suspense train hasn't even reached FULL GEAR YET.

And if some of y'all don't enjoy these type of stories— I'm sorry 😔

Until the next update, you guys!