Favorite Uncle

Sienna

I lean back as Dom laces up my skates. Apparently, they need to be tight so I have more control. But I think he's trying to cut off my circulation.

He yanks a string and I hiss. "Okay, Dom. I can't skate if my feet fall off on the rink." I wiggle my feet surprised at the heaviness of the skates.

He looks up from my feet to stare me in my eyes with that dang intensity I both hate and love.

"What?" I question self-conscious. Only this man with the probing eyes could make me conscious of myself while on death row.

"Nothing, Princess. You just called me Dom." He stands up and offers his hand. I grab it and he hauls me up, steadying me when I wobble on the wheels. I want to address the pet name but I can't bring myself too. I feel like he'll take it back and I don't want him to. I want him to continue to make me feel fuzzy, even if it's for one night.

"I'm ready," I breath, nervous. Dom's eyes sparkle. Have they always done that? He lifts up his skates and starts walking like he's on the moon.

"You can't really skate here on the carpet. It'll be better when we get on the floor." He gestures for me to follow and I try my hardest but miscalculate the weight and tip over. Thankfully, Dom is there to catch me.

"Easy there, Princess. Come on, pick up your feet."

Princess.

"Easy for you to say 'Mr. I'm so strong and I'm also a super good skater'. I've never done this before."

We make our way to the edge of the rink and he frowns at me. "You've never skated before?"

I shake my head and push his shoulder. "You'd know that if you listened in the car. No one wants to take an assassin skating. A waste of time and money and it's also unnecessary." I give him a pitiful smile. I know there's more to life than killing and gangs and Commands. But I also know not to expect to experience the joys of life. The biggest high I got was taking my dog to the dog park. Winston. No. I refuse to think about him.

Dom is giving me a look I can't discern and frankly, I don't want to. I take a leap of faith and step out onto the rink, surprised when I immediately roll away.

"Sienna, wait." I look behind me to see Dom coming at me but I have no idea how to move forward. His arms envelope me before pushing me over to a wall. His body is still pressed against mine and I can feel his heart beating rapidly. A pace that only comes from fear or excitement.

I do by best to turn, holding myself up with the wall, and look at his face caked in fear. His breaths come out in pants and his voice is shaky. "You can't do that. People out here will run you over. You don't know the first thing about skating. Please wait."

I nod my head because now he has me a little scared. They'll run over me? Can they do that? He leans back and I miss his body heat but it's chased away by the feeling of his hand in mine.

"I want you to bend your knees first. I'll push for the both of us but I want you to balance first."

"Please. Balancing? I can walk a tight rope blind folded." I flash him a smile and he chuckles softly.

"Oh yeah? Show me."

And I do just that. We got around the rink in a full circle with him moving us and I maintaining my balance.

"Okay now move your feet like this." I mimick him. "No like this. No, Sienna." Dom laughs at my posture but it's cut short by Matt coming over.

"Aww. Well aren't you guys cute. I'd be totally okay with a little Matty Junior but if it's a girl then Matrina. I think it sounds kinda witchy and she'd be a baddie. What do you think, Sienna?"