23

Hafsa had just finished feeding the baby with milk, when she heard the doorbell ring. "I'm coming. Just wait a second." She boomed, sauntering towards the door in a steady pace. But before she could get there, her husband had already gotten the door and ushered the visitors in. Her brows furrowed as they walked in. She was bewildered to see a lady dressed in a nurse's uniform and some other people she had never laid her eyes on, in her home. She wondered what they wanted and who they came to visit. Her questions were automatically answered when Zynah ambled towards them and they exchanged pleasantries.

"Mr. Aliyu called us earlier about a newborn you're finding hard to take care of and would like us to take to the orphanage with us. Is that right?" The lady who seemed like their boss questioned.

Hafsa gasped. She was totally perplexed by what she heard. Was her ears perchance deceiving her? She knew for a fact Zynah didn't like the baby, but she totally went overboard by actually going ahead and inviting those social workers to take the baby.

"Yes." She replied. "I'd be grateful if you take good care of him on our behalf."

"You can be rest assured he will be well taken care of. You have absolutely nothing to worry about." The lady reassured.

"Thank you so much." Mr. Aliyu appreciated. "I knew I could trust your agency." 

"The pleasure is ours." She smiled. "But if I may ask; sorry if my question may sound offensive, but why are you people finding it hard to take care of the baby? I, for one know it isn't financial problems, then why? Any health challenges we need to know of before we run tests on him?"

"None that we know of." Mr. Aliyu replied.

"Then why can't you take care of him yourselves? Sorry for being persistent. I'm actually an inquisitive person." She apologized.

"Some things are better left unsaid." Zynah replied with a forced smile on her lips. "I'm sorry, but I can't tell you just yet, but definitely soon. I will visit as soon as I get the chance."

"Alright then." The woman smiled. "Where is the baby?"

As soon as Hafsa heard her question, she backed away and as quickly as she could, rushed back to the baby's room with no intentions at all, but to shield him. 

"While I go upstairs to get him, please make yourselves comfortable. I'll be right back." She excused herself.

Opening the door to the nursery, Zynah expected to see the baby either crying or sleeping in his crib, but to her disappointment, he wasn't there. Indisputably, she knew he must be with no other, but Hafsa.

She turned around and was about to leave the room for hers when she almost bumped into Hafsa, with the baby in her arms.

"Were you looking for him?" She questioned, furrowing her brows.

"Some people from the orphanage are here to take him." She remarked, concisely, no traces of remorse in her voice.

Hafsa was taken aback by her blunt reply. "And?" She raised her brow questionably.

"Please hand him over, they have been waiting for me for quite a while now." She stretched out her arms to take him from her.

Hafsa took few steps back. She looked at her in disbelief. Her actions never seized to amaze her. "What kind of a mother are you? Is this how I raised you? I must have done an awful job then."

"Mum..." She trailed off.

"Don't even dare try giving me baseless explanation to justify your inhumanity. This is the highest form of absurdity! I can't believe you turned out to be this heartless. You actually want to give your child away when he actually have parents?"