41

Unedited. First draft

Zaahida couldn't stop pacing to and fro in the waiting room. The news of Bilal's condition had her unstable. She had been crying non stop since she learnt the condition he was in. Bilal's family were also present at the hospital. They have been waiting for the doctor to emerge from the operating room, but he still hadn't and that made them worry even more.

"Calm, down, Zaahida. He is going to be fine, in shaa Allah." Nazmeera placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

Zaahida gazed at her sister in law through blurry vision. "I don't want to be a widow so soon, Nazmeera." She sobbed. "Please tell me Bilal will be fine."

"You won't be. Nothing is going to happen to him." Nazmeera replied. Her gaze averted from Zaahida to Mr. Idris. He was seated on a bench quietly. She wondered what was going on his mind. He was usually quiet.

"Dad." She called, sauntering towards him. "Are you alright? Is it about Bilal? Don't worry he will be fine."

"What did the informant tell you happened to him?" He asked.

"It was the policeman who brought him to the hospital that informed me about his condition. He copied my number from his cellphon—"

"That was not what I asked." He rudely cut her off.

She heaved a sigh. "He was beaten up by someone."

Mr. Idris sprung up immediately. "He was beaten up!" He remarked, shaking his head in disbelief. "How can a grown man such as himself allow another man beat him up? I'm truly disappointed in him. This was not how I raised him. He is a disgrace to manhood. I don't even know why I'm wasting my time here." He spoke through gritted teeth.

"I was also disappointed when I heard that, but we don't know the whole story. Maybe he was attacked from behind or something." Zaahida reasoned. "Please don't leave. You're the only parent he has left. That we both have. If you aren't here for him now, who will?"

"I'm tired. Call me when the doctor finally allow you people to see him. I'm leaving to get some sleep." Mr. Idris turned around and ambled away.

Nazmeera's gaze trailed behind him. She wasn't really surprised at his negligence. They were already used to it right from when their mother died.

Zaahida walked up to Nazmeera. "Where has dad gone to?"

"To get some sleep." She replied, sighing.

"To get some sleep? His son is lying in there." She pointed to the operating room. "In a critical condition. We don't know if he is going to make it or not and all he is concerned about is getting some sleep? What kind of an irresponsible parent is he?!" At this point, Zaahida was furious. She couldn't keep her anger at bay. She felt really bad for Bilal. He didn't deserve that from him.

"Stop. Just stop, okay?" Nazmeera raised a hand. "That's our father you're talking about."

"And?" She dared her to continue. "If he is really your father, then he should act like one. Bilal is his son for crying out loud."

"Look, dad is already old. I understand why he needs to go take some rest. He is hypertensive."

"Trash! That isn't an excuse. The fact that he is uncaring can't be justified by that." Zaahida spat.

"Please Zaahida, just cut it out! What has gotten into you?"

Zaahida rolled her eyes at her. "Stop pretending to be dumb, Nazmeera. Instead of talking to your father and making him realise where he went wrong, you keep taking his side. You're just like him."