75

"Zaahida has been caught!" Bilal announced, his voice laced with gratification.

"Really?" Zynah asked, releasing a long breath. "Alhamdulillah. I have been so scared, thinking she would come for Adnan. When did they catch her? I mean...where did they find her?"

"At their house. Apparently, her mother was hiding her. She was also taken into custody as an accomplice. Anyway, I came to inform you that I'm going to the station to see and make sure she gets punished for her crimes."

"I will go with you." She remarked.

"Adnan will be all alone here. It's not really safe. You should stay home." He suggested.

"No." She shook her head, adamantly. "I also have lots of questions I need to ask Zaahida. Adnan is asleep right now. We will be back before he wakes up."

"Okay." He responded and walked out of the room.

Zynah made sure Adnan was sleeping peacefully, before going to join Bilal in the car.

The drive to the station was quiet. No one spoke. The both of them were so engrossed in their thoughts, that they ignored each other.

Bilal finally halted the car in front of the station they alighted. He walked into the station, alongside Zynah.

"Good evening, Sir." Bilal greeted the constable with a handshake. They were well acquainted. "Thanks for not letting her escape."

"I was just doing my job." He smiled.

"Still, I'm very grateful. Some people don't do their jobs and no one holds them accountable." He reasoned. "Thanks." He appreciated once more and handed him a small envelope, containing money.

"There's no need for this." He politely declined.

"It's just a token to show my appreciation." He persuaded.

"Thank you." He collected the envelope and put it in his suit's pocket.

"Where is the criminal? What happened to her?" Zynah asked, impatiently. She couldn't wait to see and give her a piece of her mind.

"She attempted to escape, I had no choice, but to shoot her." He responded.

Zynah's eyes widened in astonishment. "You...shot her?" Earlier, she was filled with hatred for Zaahida, but the news of her being shot, had her compassionate.

"Is she dead?" Bilal deadpanned.

"No...I didn't shoot to kill. I only aimed at her leg, to prevent her from running, so I could get custody of her." He clarified.

"Oh!" Zynah exclaimed and let out a breath she didn't even know she had been holding. "Where is she now?"

"Since the wound isn't severe, she was discharged and has been put behind bars already, alongside her mother." He responded.

"We want to see her. Can we?" Bilal inquired.

"Of course." He acceded.

Zaahida was so engrossed in sobbing, she didn't notice the presence of Bilal and Zynah in front of her.

"How dare you show your face here, you insolent fool!" It was Mrs. Habiba that spoke first.

Zaahida quickly raised her head and her gaze met his.

Bilal ignored Mrs. Habiba's remark. His gaze fixed on Zaahida alone. His face scrunched up in infuriation.

"Billy!" She abruptly stood up and maneuvered towards the bars and held onto them. "Billy...I knew you'd come to save me. Please get me out of here, Billy. I don't want to stay here any longer."