46

From which country/city are you?

"What!" Ramlah shook her head in disbelief.

After breakfast, Zynah had just told the whole family her plan to introduce Adnan to his father and as expected, they weren't taking it well. She took this time to have the discussion with them as Adnan had already been dropped off at school.

"Are you out of your mind?" Mr. Aliyu bellowed. "You're inviting him over to meet your son?"

"Dad..." Rashida called. "He is still the boy's father. He deserves to be in his life. I don't think that a bad idea."

"Hmm." Hafsa hummed. "I really don't know the right thing to say at this moment. Are you sure this is what you really want?" She asked Zynah.

"To be honest mum, I don't want to do this, but I have to. He is still his father. It would be unfair of me to derive Adnan the love of his father. For almost four years now, he grew up without the love of his mother and father. I don't want him to feel different from the other kids in his school. He is too young to harbor that kind of a thought in his mind. I'm just thinking about my son's wellbeing. Nothing else."

Ramlah scoffed. "And how are you sure he is going to give Adnan 'the love of a father?'" She air quoted. "He was a bad husband to you, I'm sure he will be a terrible father."

"Stay out of this, will you?" Rashida glared at her. "You know nothing about marriage or parenting."

"You're wrong." Ramlah retorted. "I k-"

"Silence! The both of you." Mr. Aliyu boomed. "Show some respect. This isn't about any of you, so you either add meaningful contributions or leave."

Rashida heaved a sigh and rubbed her big baby bump. "I'm exhausted. I will just be in the room." She responded and ambled out of the dining room.

"That's not happening, Zynah! That bastard isn't going to be introduced to my grandson. What if...what if he abuse him too in the future?"

"He won't, dad." Zynah said with certainty. "I might sound crazy saying this, but I know Bilal, he likes kids a lot. He will never abuse him and besides, we aren't moving in with him. I will just give him the privilege of seeing him during weekends." She explained.

"He likes kids, you say?" Ramlah raised a brow. "Didn't he like you as well? Or was that pretext?"

Zynah swallowed painfully. She had no reply for that question. "This is different." She managed to push the words out.

"How so?" Ramlah attacked.

"Ramlah." Hafsa called. "Please."

Zynah knew what their mother was pleading for. In a way, Ramlah was right, but her mind was already made up. She would gladly take responsibility if anything goes wrong. If Bilal turns out to be a bad father, she wouldn't hesitate to take her son faraway from him.

"Mum, someone has to tell her the truth. Ya Zynah obviously don't know what she is doing. Bilal is a monster and he will never change. Introducing Adnan to him is just...just wrong. I'm not in support of this."

Zynah rolled her eyes. "I'm not asking for your permission and I'm definitely not changing my mind. Who do you even think you are to stop me? I'm his mother, you are not!"

Ramlah chuckled humorlessly. "Wow! When did you suddenly become his mother? A week ago? Two weeks ago? A month?" She retorted. "It's actually funny how you think you have all rights to the child you abandoned for almost four years."

Her words hit Zynah like a ton of bricks. Of all people, she never knew her sister would use her mistakes against her so harshly. It hurt a lot. She didn't even realised tears had welled up in her eyes, until her vision became blurry. She quickly wiped the tears away before they could run down her cheeks. Instead, she smiled. A painful smile.