57

Dedicated to my sister Aishasidi001 🤗❤

"Who the heck is this?" Zaahida's face scrunched up in disdain.

"I'm sorry for picking -"

"I asked you a question!"

Zynah swallowed. "Bilal got into an accident. It's already too late and he won't be able to drive back home today."

"What!" She exclaimed. "Oh no! How did my husband get into an accident? Where is he right now?" Her voice laced with extreme worry.

"Don't worry, he isn't badly hurt. He will go home tomorrow in shaa Allah." She responded.

"And who are you to tell me when he is going to be coming home?" She sneered.

Before she could give her a reply, Bilal chipped in. "Give me the phone, Zynah."

Hearing his voice, Zaahida's eyes almost bulged out of their sockets.

"I will be back tomorrow." Was all he said, before ending the call.

Zynah opened her mouth to say something, but ended up closing it back.

"Goodnight." Bilal muttered and closed the door.

Zynah turned around and ambled back into the house. She headed directly to Adnan's room. It was almost morning already. She went into the bathroom and performed ablution for nafl prayers. She spent about thirty minute in sujuud, praying and pouring out her heart to Allah - the oft forgiving and the most merciful, to forgive and to continue guiding her to the right path.

Zynah was lying on the prayer mat, when the adhaan was made. She didn't realize she had fallen asleep right there. She stretched, then went into the bathroom to perform ablution again.

After she was done with Subh prayer, she went to Adnan and adjusted the duvet on him. Just as she was about to lay down beside him, she heard a knock on the door, downstairs. Knowing it would be Bilal, no one else, she walked downstairs, but hesitated, before placing her hand on the doorknob. After what had transpired between them the previous night, she didn't want to see him anymore, but she knew it was almost impossible. She heaved a sigh and unlocked the door.

"Assalamu'alaykum."

"Wa'alaykum salaam." She responded, giving way for him to go in.

"Good morning." He greeted.

She hummed in response, avoiding his gaze.

"I will be leaving now." He stated. "Thanks for everything."

"Alright." She replied, nonchalantly.

"Can I see Adnan before I leave?" He inquired, searching her eyes for answers.

Immediately, she averted her gaze. "Of course. He is in his room."

Wordlessly, Bilal walked pass her and headed directly to the room. He didn't return, until after some few minutes.

Zynah was seated on the couch, staring into space, when he returned.

"Bye." Was all he said to her, before walking out of the house.

The first sound Bilal was welcomed with, when he walked into the house; was the sound of Zaahida's cries. He heaved a tired sigh and narrowed his eyes at her.