59

Unedited.

Angrily, Ramlah stormed into Rashida's room with the intention of confronting her for the terrible thing she did to their sister. But on getting into the room, she met Rashida seated on the floor - at the foot of the bed crying. She cleared her throat, making her presence known.

Immediately Rashida felt her presence above her figure, she wiped her tears and raised her gaze. "Please leave the room, Ramlah. I want to be alone."

"I came here to talk to you regarding what you did to Ya Zynah. That was very wrong of you and believe me, if she curses you, it's definitely going to affect you, because she has been oppressed by you. Why would you do something like that to her? What has she ever done to you, apart from being nice?" She questioned, her voice laced with anger.

"It's none of your business, so kindly stay out of this." She wiped a lone tear that suddenly escaped her right eye.

"You're both my sisters - my older sisters, so I have the right to interfere. I respect you so much, ya Rashida, but what you did is sickening. I couldn't believe you had that in you. Even if you don't consider her family, at least, think of the years you've spent together. All she ever wanted was your acceptance, but in return, you treated her worse than a stranger.

Because of what you did, Ya Zynah suffered a great deal. Bilal maltreated her all because of the lies you fed him with. He turned into a beast because of you! How are you able to sleep peacefully at night?" She voiced. "Don't you have a conscience anymore? Ya Zynah has a heart of gold. In spite of what you did to her, she is willing to forgive you for it, but wallahi, had I been the one, I would never ever forgive you for it. You broke a home deliberately. I just hope you don't end up with the same fate as her, because you truly deserve it." Tears streamed down her face as she spoke. "May Allah forgive you for that despicable deed." She finished and was about to speak, when Rashida spoke, making her halt in her tracks.

"She's... She's willing to forgive me?" Her voice broke.

Ramlah turned around, perplexed. Her face scrunched up.

"Ever since I conspired with Nazmeera - Bilal's sister to ruin Zynah's life, I haven't been myself. I haven't been able to have a proper sleep in years. I constantly see her her crying in my dream, asking me why I did that to her. I'm suffering, Ramlah. I really am." She covered her face with her palms and sobbed. Her shoulders shuddered as she did.

Ramlah was taken aback. She never expected such reaction from her sister. Was she putting up an act? She walked closer to her and sat close to her on the floor - at the foot of the bed. "You regret what you did?"

"Yes, Ramlah. I terribly regret it. I...I feel..." Her breath hitched, due to how badly she was crying. "Whenever I see her, I feel a pang in my heart. If you noticed, I am not able to look into the bloodshot eyes I see almost every night."

"If you truly regret your deeds, why didn't you show it? I mean... Why didn't you apologize for it? Why did you make her leave the house?"

"I'm selfish." She replied. "I instigated her to leave the house, because I couldn't bear to keep seeing her, for my conscience was slowing killing me. When I left for the states with my husband, I felt it was finally over. I felt I would get away from the country, from my conscience and...and from Zynah. I thought I would put everything behind me and start afresh. I thought no one would ever find out I was involved in why Bilal turned out that way. I thought I was finally freed from all those, but when dad called and ordered me to come home for Adnan's surgery, I was reluctant. I didn't want to come back to Nigeria, because I knew I would be tormented by the mere sight of Zynah, but I had to, because dad wouldn't take no for an answer.