xv. is that a coping mechanism?

chapter fifteen
is that a coping mechanism?

  "JUST A CITY BOY   ,   born and raised in south Detroit, he took the midnight train going anywhere," Steve Perry's voice sang, and Ruth let the music sink as she leaned her head on the couch, the guitar riff playing.

 She took a sip from the cup of water, and in the corner of her eye, she could see Dustin pacing around the living room in distress. Rue felt small, like a toddler, not because her dad's sweater was so big, and it was slowly swallowing her. But because they wouldn't let her help. Mike had come up with a brilliant plan for a chance for them to talk to Will without the Mindflayer — Lucas had told her they called — could spy.

 No one would let her help, and most of them treated her like glass, especially Steve Harrington, who cupped her cheeks when she walked out of the room and began to speak to her like a baby until Jonathan told him to stop. She didn't mind, and a part of her enjoyed it if she had to be honest.

   "Some will win, some will lose . . . some were born to sing the blues . . ."

 Half of their group was outside in the shed, trying to talk to Will. Jonathan had asked if Rue wanted to talk too, but his invitation was quickly brought down by Nancy Wheeler, who said it would be best if she stayed behind and relaxed.

  "Oh, the movie never ends . . . it goes on and on, and on, and on . . ."

 Rue closed her eyes, letting the music guide her. At worst times, music was the only way she'd calm down. She thought that most people wouldn't understand what she goes through, the music helping her clear her head with every beat. Healing her heart as sometimes she could relate to the lyrics, the more upbeat the song the higher her spirits lifted.