Part 1

"Our engagement is cancelled, Lenora."

Prince Ronan's voice was flat and dispassionate as he faced me.

I had to admit, he definitely had a flair for the dramatic. To meet me here, under this awning, surrounded by the downpour of rain, made this event seem all the more sad. His face was serious, his stance slightly defensive. From head to toe he was the perfect image of the tragic hero. I felt a strange desire to applaud.

Unfortunately, the outfit he was wearing was much less impressive. Who had made his clothing? It was expensive-looking, but to the discerning eye, one could easily tell that the fabric was cheap, thinly woven, and that the stitching was uneven. Knowing how much the royal palace spent on clothing, I felt a headache coming on. What an inferior product. So insulting.

The prince was still talking. Why? I felt his first sentence was more than enough.

"I know this is a terrible shock."

"Is it?" I kept my expression blank, suppressing the urge to laugh. Fortunately he didn't seem to notice my peculiar reaction, seeming intent on proceeding as dramatically as possible.

"I have fallen in love with another woman. My heart is completely swayed, I cannot have another." He sighed tragically, staring off into the rain. "So, unfortunately, I must break off our engagement. I trust you understand."

I nodded quietly, wondering if people were enjoying the food inside. My family had come here for the Prince's birthday, but I hadn't wanted to be here. Unfortunately as his fiancé, I didn't really have a choice. The only thing that I had looked forward to was the food, which had looked delicious, but there wasn't a chance to try that before he had pulled me away for an "important chat."

"I know you're heartbroken, but try not to cry." Seriously, he was still talking? I shook my head. Did engagement breakups really have to take this long?

_______________________________

I stood on a balcony in the rain, facing the man who refused to marry me, crying as my heart broke.

"What will I do without you?! My entire life has been spent preparing to be your bride."

The prince's face was stony. "That's not my concern."

"BUT I LOVE YOU!"

_______________________________

I pushed away the memory of my previous lifetime with a sigh. This is much easier the second time around.

Ronan misinterpreted my expression and sigh. "Do you need to be alone?"

"No."

I held out my hand.

"..." With a confused pause, he pulled out a handkerchief and placed it gently on my outstretched palm. Did he think I wanted something to dry my eyes? I wasn't even crying! I dropped it on the ground, grinding it into the dirt with my shoe, and held my hand out again.

"...What do you want?"

"Compensation."

He looked shocked. "Pardon?"

I smiled at him. "It's simple. I am the daughter of a duke. My time is valuable. This marriage was an arrangement meant to mutually benefit my house and the royal family. By breaking this agreement, you have essentially wasted my time and good intentions." I pulled out a piece of paper from my pocket and started making calculations.

"But..."

"Shush, I'm thinking." I kept writing on the paper. "Let's see. I have been forced to visit the palace twice a week for several hours at a time to 'further our relationship.' Add in the eight hours a week that I spent with your mother and your staff in 'future queen training' which is now essentially useless to me..." I started adding up the figures, nodding to myself.