Part 30

"What are you doing here?" I tried to remain calm, but even the sight of Edith standing next to Nate was making me feel uncomfortable.

"I'm here just to visit as a representative of Reterand's royalty." She smiled warmly, the expression making my stomach churn. "This kingdom is lovely, Nate. You'll have to show me around tomorrow."

She stared at Nate, fluttering her eyelashes. My chest hurt as i watched her, my heart sinking as I felt an overwhelming sense of defeat.

_________________________

"Make way for the Prince!" A loud voice called out, waking me from my stupor. I clutched the empty begging bowl in my hand, feeling humiliated, but I didn't have the energy to run and hide. I could only lower my head, and hope he didn't look too closely at a beggar on the street.

The entourage made its way closer, and glancing upwards I noted Ronan and Edith, riding on horses, talking side by side. I felt a stab of pain in my heart, my eyes filling with tears. Of course they're together, they're engaged.Despite the rationality of it, watching my best friend and the man I loved smiling at each other while I crouched on the street in rags was almost too painful to bear. I prayed they would just move on, but to my horror, they stopped right in front of me, chatting.

"I'm so lucky to be able to marry a wonderful man like you!" Edith's flattery caused the prince to smile. "But, some days, I just feel so guilty that I stole Lenora's place..." She dabbed her eyes, looking sad and pitiful.

"Lenora?" Ronan sneered, the word tearing at my heart. "I'm glad to be rid of her. Who would want her when they could have you?"

I felt Edith's gaze focus on me, and stiffened, wondering if she had recognized me. She didn't call out however, just sat there smiling.

"Yes, who would want her?" Her voice was low, but loud enough to be heard by me, shredding the pitiful remains in my chest.

I kept my head down, too tired and hungry to cry.

_________________________

Nate shook her off, his face stony as he looked at her. "I'll find you a guide. I'm afraid I have too much on my schedule." His tone was borderline rude, surprising me. He was normally a very polite person, almost to a fault.

"What...?" Edith started to protest but Nate ignored her, walking up to me and taking my hand, a smile on his face.

"Do you want to go on a walk tomorrow?"

I couldn't help but smile, even as I felt nervous at the contact between our hands. Realizing my feelings, it was difficult to be as calm around him as I used to be. "Won't you be too busy?"

His grin was shameless. "I cleared my schedule for you."

"..." Everyone stared silently in shock at the obvious difference in treatment. I laughed, squeezing his hand gently.

"Sure. Let's do that then." I wasn't sure what to do with the chaotic feelings in my heart, but I was clear on one thing: I wasn't about to step back for Edith.

"Good! Then the three of us can go together!"

As Edith invited herself along, Nate and I turned to stare at her coldly. She seemed unaffected, giving another sweet smile. "Your Highness, I just wouldn't want your reputation to be affected, after all, back home... Lenora's history..." She trailed off, blushing as if too embarrassed to continue, "I wouldn't want people to talk, they might say you two have an... inappropriate relationship."

"Wouldn't that be great if that were true." I heard him mutter quietly, and poked his side. He just winked at me in reply. Ignoring him, I turned to Edith, a cold smile on my face.