Part 19

I stared at the prince in shock. "Pardon?"

Obviously not expecting this response, his expression turned quizzical. "Are you hard of hearing? We're getting engaged!"

I dug a finger into my ear, as if cleaning it out, muttering to myself. "I swore I heard you say 'engaged.'"

"I did...?"

"But that would be impossible!" I shook my head, before staring at him intently.

"Unless you were an idiot."

He sputtered with rage. "What did you call me?!"

"Idiot. Fool. Moron. Buffoon...." I paused. "Give me a moment, I'm sure I'll think of more."

Standing up, his face turned red. "HOW DARE YOU?!!"

I stood up to face him, slamming my hands on the desk.

"NO! How dare YOU? How dare you step into MY HOME and insult me like this? A week after you cut off your engagement for another woman 'that your heart belongs to,' you waltz in here and expect me to fall at your feet?" I laughed.

"You're even stupider than I thought. Self absorbed, idiotic, obsessed with hunting, horseriding and anything that isn't facing the responsibility of your future leadership responsibilities!"

"I- I..."

"Even if I were only to give it HALF my effort, I would still be an infinitely better ruler than you are." I sighed, rubbing my head. "Luckily for me, and unluckily for the kingdom, we are not getting married, and that will never be put to the test."

"I've never been...!" He tried to shout, but I simply cut him off.

"You've never been so insulted?" I chuckled. "Get used to it. You're a pathetic boy who will be a pathetic king. The only useful thing you've ever done is break the engagement, freeing me from the horrifying destiny of marrying you."

I sat down, catching my breath. I had gotten more emotional than I expected. After so many years had passed, I thought most of my bitterness at how I had been treated in my first life was gone.

Apparently not as completely as I had hoped.

Prince Ronan glared at me. "I should have known you wouldn't listen to reason!"

"What reason...?"

"Edith warned me that you were petty and held grudges!" He threw up his hands. "She cried for so long, scared that you would hate her for the crime of falling in love with me, and now I can see she was right to be! You are just as bitter and angry as she said you would be."

I smiled. "I don't hate her, idiot prince. I pity her."

"Liar...."

"After all, what did she say when you told her you were dumping her to resume our engagement?"

"..." His face was sullen, but he remained silent. My smile widened.

"I thought so." I let out a long dramatic sigh. "Poor girl, betrayed by the man who claimed to love her and you didn't even bother to let her know. Turns out your promises were just as worthless as your brain."

"I DID NOT BETRAY HER!" He yelled, slamming a fist against my desk, scattering the few papers that were left.

"Really? Then why are you here, proposing to me?" I was genuinely curious as to how he had thought this through.

He sat down, looking tired. "Look, we have to marry for... political reasons. But I will continue to remain faithful to my beautiful and wonderful Edith."