Part 6

The next day's etiquette lessons were harsher, just as Mrs. Rendler promised. I was able to keep up, using my previous knowledge and skills, but this time I did my best to make it look difficult, hoping that she would relax the pace a little. Instead my efforts rewarded me with her satisfied expression, and a gleam in her eye that promised only more pain and suffering.

"You will be the greatest young lady I have ever trained." She pronounced, looking me over from head to toe critically. "But must you dress so... plainly? I will say it's a great improvement over those frilly monstrosities you used to wear to lessons, but the last two outfits have been simply dull."

I smiled at her words, glancing down at my plain grey gown. Over the last week I had sold the majority of my more ridiculous gowns, leaving me with surprisingly few choices. Angela had pouted, saying that I was going to be out of style, but I overruled her, as well as ignored her suggestion that she be allowed to choose my new gowns. I very much enjoyed my simpler gowns, but knew that I would need something nicer... at least for public venues.

Fortunately I had an idea about that.

"I'm changing over my wardrobe. I think it's time I take on a more mature style, so as to not embarrass my parents or the Royal family."

"You're so grown up!" Queen Amerande sat down next to me, briefly hugging me as she settled in. "First you impress everyone with your improvements on your etiquette and now this?" She wiped her eyes. "I couldn't be prouder as your mother."

"Future Mother in Law!" Mrs. Rendler insisted.

"Don't step on my dreams!" She hugged me again, smiling even as she argued. I couldn't help but chuckle at her antics, but found it increasingly difficult to understand the Queen's behavior. I thought I had gotten more discerning from my past life, able to see people's true intentions. It had served me well with the others who seemed to be scheming around me. But with her... all I could see was a loving, cheerful person. There were no cracks in her disguise, she seemed completely at ease as she showered me with compliments and acted like a mother.

But it had to be a lie.

I felt a burning rage take root in my stomach, but I hid it as best I could, wondering how I could make it through three more years of training with her without breaking.

Finally we were done. With a sigh of relief, I headed to the Royal Treasury, looking forward to my lessons with Jim. I had completed the reading assignment he had given me, but now I had pages of questions I wanted to discuss with him. Entering the room, I clutched my books and notes in my arms, already saying a greeting...

Only to come to a screeching halt as I realized there was a stranger in the room.

Jim looked up at my arrival, waving. "Ah, Lenora! Good, you're here so we can get started." Glancing between myself and the stranger, he paused. "Oh I should introduce you two..."

"No need." The young man interrupted Jim with a grin. "We've sort of met before." I recognized him from the previous week at my home, he had been together with Prince Rolan.

Hardly a point in his favor.

"Nathaniel. But you can call me Nate, Miss..."

I had forgotten how tall he was, I had to look up at him as I reached out my hand to shake his own. Standing between Nathaniel and Jim who also towered over me, I felt very small... an irritating feeling. "Lenora."

"Of course, I've heard a lot about you..." He kept speaking, but my attention had turned sharply. Not to him, or his words, but to his arm.

"What is this?!" I interrupted, grabbing his hand between both of my own. His face turning slightly red, Nate stuttered. "my hand ?"