Part 20

After I finished sewing, I said goodbye to Marile and walked towards the shop exit. I was preoccupied with my thoughts, and wasn't focused on where i was stepping. Which led to me almost running into the young woman who was waiting right outside the door.

I stopped just before slamming into her, taking in her appearance with a forced smile. "Hello, Edith."

How had she found me? After a few moments of thought I quickly realized the answer to my question was easily found in my own home.

I'm going to have to deal with Angela sooner rather than later.

Edith stepped forward, interrupting my thoughts. Her face was delicately pale, her smile complicated as if happy to see me but worried at the same time. It was very pitiful, and she looked more like a wronged heroine confronting her betrayer, rather than the villain that she was. "I missed you, Lenora! I wanted to visit sooner but I was afraid you wouldn't want to see me... after..."

Her voice broke, and she lightly dabbed her eyes with a handkerchief, actual tears forming in her eyes.

What a marvelous performance. I really felt like I should be applauding.

"After you ran around with my fiancé behind my back?" I tried unsuccessfully to hide the amusement in my voice. "Why wouldn't I want to see you?"

She was now sobbing loudly, catching attention from those walking past. "Can you not forgive me? I never meant to hurt you! I just... fell in love! I cannot help loving him!" Even in tears her face remained pretty, her expressions showing mild sadness while maintaining a noble look. I wondered idly how many times one would have to practice crying to be able to look attractive while convincing at the same time.

I sighed quietly. "I wish the two of you can be always together." As long as you stay far away from me!

"Are we still friends?" She stopped crying her gaze hopeful. A few people had stopped to watch the scene, the mood clearly siding with the girl who was crying. I felt many angry stares in my direction and wanted to laugh out loud. How many of these strangers would realize that the girl who they thought was being bullied was the one who had done the betraying?

Feeling tired, I forced a kind expression on my face. "Of course." I felt no unease agreeing to this. After all, "friend" was only a meaningless term. There was no reason to hesitate applying it to such a person.

I invited her into my carriage and with a cheerful laugh she agreed. All signs of her previous tears were gone and she once again was pretending to be the gentle supportive friend. I was honestly shocked at how quickly she had switched roles. If I had honestly been in love with the prince still, did she think I would be over it so fast? She was being even more shameless than she had acted in my previous life.

There must be something else she wants.

Hiding my curiosity, I smiled blandly at her, pretending to listen as she chattered on about the latest dance she had learned. Edith at least had enough tact not to bring up the Prince... or so I thought.

"So, I am holding a party next week." She started fidgeting in her seat.

"I see." I nodded, my mind wandering to tomorrow's schedule.

"There... I will be announcing that the Prince and I intend to be married. "

Calmly, I looked up at her fake-timid smile and couldn't help but ask. "So it's official then? You are engaged?"

Obviously the stupid prince hadn't told her he had proposed to me again. I felt a brief flash of optimism. Perhaps my rejection had been enough for him to disregard the King's order completely?