Part 9

Ten months passed, faster than I could have imagined.

The store "Prosperity" took off. True to her word, Marile had improved upon my own designs, and after showcasing the dresses at a few parties (I had reluctantly resumed my social responsibilities, reminding myself it was for the business), the orders came in, faster than we could fill them. Expanding production, Marile hired a few more seamstresses, and even then we were stretched thin. We continued making and selling new designs, however, with plans to open up another store before the next season.

The Duchy thrived alongside my business. The officials I "retired" left without further complaint, and their replacements worked hard to gain experience and independence. Until they were completely trained however, the bulk of the work was left to Nile, Terrence and me. We met weekly, going over accounts and day to day issues in great detail. Fortunately we worked well together and rather than resenting the hands-on approach I took, they seemed relieved.

"The Duke just always told us to do what we thought best in difficult matters." Nile confided one day. "But with no idea of the overall financial state of the Duchy, it's hard to make these sorts of decisions. With you in charge, things are running much smoother."

Seeming to realize the improperness of what he had said, he panicked, waving his hands. "Not saying that the Duke is incompetent! He's a very kind man! And as a leader... of course he..." he paused as if trying to think of something else good to say about my father.

I chuckled, trying to relieve the poor man's misery. "It's fine. Father's gifts lie... in other directions. " I had no idea as to what direction that was, but as long as he stayed out of my way, I was content.

No longer hemorrhaging money, I was able to work on improving the infrastructure of the area, improving the safety and stability of the roads, increasing the schools and preparing some previously unused land for farming.

Marile, looking ahead to our second store, convinced me to use some of our profits to open up a vocational school for seamstresses, taught by people she trusted. We charged a minimal fee, funding those who couldn't afford it, and waited excitedly as they gained skill. I planned to hire some of the top students upon graduation, and as the number of skilled workers increased, the duchy of Armeny began gaining a reputation as the place to buy well-made clothes.

The success spread, and I was already being approached by other trades to expand the school to cover their professions as well.

__________________________________

I continued my lessons with Jim and Nate, although the assigned reading was decreased as more and more of my time was taken up with the business and the duchy. Instead, Jim had me bring practical issues and questions to the class regarding economics or governmental structure, and we worked though it together. I was often able to implement some of the answers we came up with, continuing to benefit my home.

Nate and I settled into a comfortable pace. He was the calm one in class, frequently mediating between Jim and me when we began to get too loud about a certain subject. He listened well, and when he did speak up it was with purpose, often coming up with ideas that caught me by surprise.

"You should build a place that provides food for people who are starving." After class one day, he was escorting me back to the carriage in thoughtful silence before suddenly bursting out with that suggestion.

I stopped in my tracks. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, it's something that you obviously care deeply about, and since you'll manage to free up some extra funds with the changes we came up with today, I thought it might work! " He continued as he stopped as well, gesturing excitedly with his hands. "Think about it, a place where people who are starving can come by and have a meal. You can ask for donations and volunteers to offset some of the costs, it should be doable..."