Part 12

It was the morning of my birthday, only hours before the party. I should have already been home getting ready, but instead I stood in a beautiful sitting room, holding a large box and wearing a friendly smile.

Edith stared at me, unable to hide her suspicion. "Why are you here?"

"Darling!" Edith's mother, the Countess of Erand, frowned at her daughter. "Don't be rude!" Turning to me, she continued with an ingratiating smile. "We're honored to have you here, Lady Lenora. We've always been so happy to see you two be such good friends; you are such a good role model for her, quite the perfect lady!"

Edith looked put out at her mother's flattery. "Not such good friends lately." She muttered.

"Edith..." the countess began to scold, but I stepped forward, interrupting her.

"It's perfectly alright, Countess. I have been so busy with my lessons preparing to be Queen that I've neglected my best friend. Of course she would be upset!" I enjoyed the anger in Edith's eyes that always appeared when I spoke about becoming queen. "But today, I've come with a peace offering!" I held up the box in my hands.

"Oh, that's simply wonderful! You are too gracious to our daughter!" She looked closer, her eyes widening in surprise at the sight of the blue and white ribbon and red wax seal on the box. "Is this a dress from 'Prosperity'?"

"It is!" I turned to Edith, handing her the box with a grin. "I heard that you hadn't been able to be seen there, and felt terrible."

Edith looked down at the box, shaking her head. "They're supposed to be very exclusive... how did you...?"

"Well, it really depends. They tend to waive the requirement for a recommendation for people of higher rank. " I pretended not to notice the rage that crossed her face as I casually mentioned her lower status. "But now that I know, I've made the recommendation, and you can shop there anytime."

The countess clapped her hands, not noticing her daughter's frustration. "That's wonderful, isn't it Edith?!"

"Yes. Wonderful." Edith was forcing a smile, it looked painful. She had always hated the fact that I outranked her when we were children. She told me it made me stuck up, and made me be beneath her in all our games and activities. I had constantly worried about offending her, not wanting to be abandoned by my only close friend. Thus, even in public social situations I deferred to her, which only increased rumors that I didn't understand proper etiquette.

This lifetime I held no such fear. I had very little use for rank and the nobility, preferring to spend my time with the people I worked with instead of my so called "peers", but if reminding her of the difference in our status made Edith a little uncomfortable... I was willing to use what I had.

"Open it!" I pointed at the box, watching her face pale as she did and saw the baby blue gown.

"I CAN'T WEAR THIS!" She shouted, dropping the box.

"..." I watched silently, smiling. I had suspected she was the one to arrange the fire powder trap of my gown, but having it confirmed gave me a sense of relief.

"EDITH!" Her mother shrieked, picking up the box with an apologetic glance at me. "Lady Lenora came all this way on her birthday to bring YOU a gift, from an exclusive shop! How dare you embarrass me this way?!"

I shook my head, pretending to look sad. "If she doesn't like it, I'm happy to take it back..."

The countess panicked. "No, don't you worry, my daughter is very grateful for your present! She's just... shocked! I'll ensure she wears it tonight! Thank you so much!" She shoved the box in her daughter's arms, hissing under her breath. "thank her!"