Part 16

"That went well." I muttered, walking back into the ballroom. I patted my pocket, now filled with the crowns I had extorted off of the Prince, reassuring myself that at least this time I had not come out empty-handed.

Now, off to find some food.

Ronan had grabbed me the moment the party had started, pulling me outside towards the gazebo so that he could break the engagement as dramatically as possible. I hadn't even had a chance to look at the tables holding the food...

I stopped in my tracks, deeply disappointed.

Most of the food was already gone.

"That's two lifetimes!" I growled under my breath. "Now that's just going too far!"

Before I could mourn too long, however, Hallers stepped up behind me, holding a plate. My eyes widened with surprise.

"How...?"

He gave the smallest hint of a smile. "I saw that His Royal Highness had pulled you aside, and that you had not had a chance to eat today. I took the liberty of preparing a plate of the dishes I thought you would most enjoy."

I grabbed the plate, smiling brightly. "Hallers, you are an angel! Definitely the best butler in the entire kingdom!"

He stepped back towards the wall with a quick wink, "Naturally, Miss."

As I happily enjoyed the party food, I heard a voice behind me.

"Did the prince talk to you?" Edith was wearing an unnatural smile, her eyes searching me closely, as if expecting to find me in tears.

Ignoring the question, I looked her up and down, nodding in approval. "I like the dress!"

She was wearing one of my newest designs from "Prosperity." Ever since I had "recommended" her, allowing her to shop there, she had been purchasing gowns on a frequent basis. I had no issues with this, despite her stealing my fiancé in both lives, having decided that I was going to be the bigger person.

And if I happened to have the store charge her twice the usual price?... well, no one was perfect.

In fact, given the fact that her purchasing hadn't slowed down despite the increased pricing made me wonder if the prince wasn't funding her shopping as well. Which should have offended me, but I did enjoy the idea of both of them unknowingly supporting my business.

Edith preened at the compliment. "Don't I look amazing in it? Prosperity is expensive but definitely worth the price!" She looked over at me with a pitying look. "I see you aren't wearing any of their new line. It's okay, I know that your family has... financial difficulties."

"Don't worry about us, we're doing just fine." And we were. Given the revenue from my multiple stores, we were one of the wealthiest families in the kingdom. It was true that I wasn't wearing any of the dresses released at the store, as I didn't want them associated with me being dropped by my fiancé, but I was happy with the dress I had designed, a deep blue gown with silver embroidery.

"Of course you are." She looked around, obviously frustrated by my casual attitude. "I think the Prince was looking for you."

I smiled. Edith must have assumed he hadn't broken the engagement yet, as I didn't look upset enough. "I'll keep that in mind, but first, I need to go greet the queen."

"WHAT?" Her voice was a little too loud. She flinched the whispers around us, and looked around, seeing the queen enter without introduction. "What is she doing here?" She sounded upset.

"It's her son's birthday, where else would she be?"
Not giving her a chance to answer, I walked away, heading towards the queen.

____________________________