Part 29

"The King made his move." Rig frowned as he spoke, staring around the shop with a grim expression.

Hallers, Lia, and Marile, who had just arrived to be present for the store's grand opening, looked at each other with dismay. I leaned back in my chair, setting down the financial reports Henry had asked me to glance over and studied Rig closely.

"What happened?" My voice was cold. I clenched my fists in my lap, remembering the King's expression the day of the Queen's birthday.

"Bandits broke into the Duchy's main residence. They ransacked a few rooms, stealing a few paintings and such, but the worst of the damage was in your room." Rig's gaze was filled with anger. "The objects they stole weren't even worth much, they obviously weren't thieves."

"He sent men to kill me." It wasn't a question. I felt a moment of relief. We hadn't announced that I had left for Tilendria yet, instead reporting that I was ill and stuck in bed. It seemed that our deception had worked in my favor.

Rig nodded. "I just received word, but it happened the night I left, likely before word from the Tilendrian court reached him."

"I'm sure he knows where you are now." Marile looked worried, grabbing my hand and holding it tightly. "He's not going to be happy with your presence here."

"He never would have been happy, unless I was under his control." I muttered. Seeing all of their concerned faces, I couldn't help but smile. "Don't worry, I'll take care of it. At least I have the whole team here now." I laughed lightly. "Moving all my staff, people would think I'm moving to Tilendria permanently. How silly is that?"

"..." Everyone in the room stared at me with an odd expression. From upstairs I could hear Erica shouting angrily, as her husband tried to calm her down.

Ignoring that, I went over the intelligence reports with Rig, the issues with our other store branches with Marile and the upcoming schedule and social plans with Hallers and Lia. The meeting was proceeding well, but as we moved the discussion to the Tilendrian nobility, Rig interrupted, looking uncomfortable.

"There's one more thing... A rumor is going around in the Tilenderian court."

I raised an eyebrow. "A rumor? How shocking."

Rig sighed. "They're saying that you're a thief, girl."

"A THIEF?!" Hallers burst out, enraged. "Preposterous!"

I held up a hand, and he stopped speaking. "What are they claiming I stole?" My voice was quiet.

"The dress you wore at the welcoming party." Rig shook his head. "They claimed that you could never afford it, and so you must have stolen it."

"I designed that dress for this girl myself!" Marile looked indignant. "Do they want to start a fight?! Because I'll give it to them!"

Hallers nodded in agreement with a grim smile. To my surprise even the shy and quiet Lia was cracking her knuckles as if waiting to punch someone. Seeing their protective appearance, I couldn't help it, I burst out laughing.

"Leave it for now." I answered once I caught my breath.

Marile looked unhappy. "But...?"

"The truth will be clear in just a few days." Smiling I dismissed everyone except Rig.

"Do you have something else to say?" I asked, having recognized his expression at the end of the meeting.

He sighed. "How do you catch little things like this and remain so dense in others?" Sitting down again, closer, he spoke quietly. "I worry about the origin of the rumors."