Ch. 4: Party Central

I honestly had no idea where I was going. I just jumped in the truck and started driving. I had no idea where anything was around Appleberry. I just knew the road into Appleberry and the road from the house to the grocery store.
When I got to a fork in the road, I took a right. It was dark. So dark, you couldn't see anything for miles without having the bright lights on the car on. A flash light would have only let you see a few steps in front of you.
My windows were down, the moon was out, and Stevie Nicks was playing on the radio. I could hear the wolves in the far distance howling. It was beautiful. Like magic.
When things got bad like this with dad. I looked for an escape like this. One where I could just drive, listen to music, and have the windows down. The breeze coming through making me feel lighter. I always believe I was a bird in my past life. All I wanted to do was fly through a peaceful surrounding.
I must have been daydreaming too much, because I forgot a turn somewhere. I was going down a dirt road. It was worse than the main highway. I kept driving until I saw a bonfire.
I crept on it and came to a stop. There were all kinds of kids hanging around and doing what teenage kids do best, party. I got out and walked up. I saw Gwendolyn and Phoenix sitting on a bench by the bonfire. Zeke was hanging out with a group of guys. Bodhi was talking to some girl.
Bodhi saw me, and I waved. She grabbed the girls hand and walked over to me. "We meet again Sloane."
"Hey Bodhi. Who's this?" I gestured to the girl.
"This is Harlow Barlow, but we all call her Jett." Jett smiled.
I smiled back. "Nice to meet you Jett."
Bodhi stole my attention back. "What brought you down here to the river?"
"Not sure. I was just driving and ended up here. I had no clue where I was going." I laughed nervously.
Bodhi put her arm around my shoulders. "Well, welcome, this is a party to start the school year off. Tomorrow we all go back, so a last hoorah."
"You do know, we are teenagers. We have hoorahs a lot." I tucked a piece of hair behind my ear.
Jett and Bodhi laughed. "You will fit right in."
Just then the group of guys Zeke was hanging out with came up. Zeke was first to speak. "Well, look what we have here. Newbie, what brings you here?"
"I was just driving around." I grimaced.
"Leave her alone Zeke." A tall, red headed boy with freckles and handsome spoke.
He put a hand out. "I'm Finn Ozzi Barlow. But people call me Ozzi. This is my brother Nico Bowie Barlow. That over there, is Zig and Ziv Hardy. You've meet Zeke already."
I shook his hand. I looked to his brother. "I'm guessing people call you Bowie. Parent's must be real music lovers."
Bowie laughed. "Yeah, they have a thing for their rock and roll and metal. They're real hip."
Zig and Ziv came over putting Zeke into a head lock. "Say the word."
Zeke was trying to get them off. "Come on guys."
"Say the word or it'll just get worse." Ozzi laughed.
"Wolf." The twins let go of him and ran off.
Zeke took off after them. They started to scuffle around. They acted like brothers. But I knew they weren't.
"Are those there related?" I nodded towards them.
Bodhi huffed. "No, but they should be. They act like triplets. Even look like one another. But they are nowhere near related. The ones related are the Barlow siblings, the Appleberry's, the twins, and you and your sister."
"It is an interesting place, Appleberry." I took the beer Ozzi handed to me.
Ozzi and Bowie both in unison. "You can say that again."
The boys walked off leaving us girls behind. "So, what else do I need to know? Any secrets?"
Jett and Bodhi looked between one another and back to me. "No."
"Are you sure?" They didn't sound convincing.
Zeke came up putting an arm around my shoulders. "Don't worry, you'll learn soon enough this little town you're in."
Bodhi kicked his sheen. "Ouch. Mercy, Bodhi."
Zeke held onto his sheen. "Don't listen to the idiot. He has no idea what he is talking about."
I took a sip of my beer. "In one ear and out the other."