Ch. 5: School & a Hangover

I had gotten in around three this morning. I was drunk. Bodhi drove me back since her house was down the road. I passed out in the floor. I didn't think I would make it through my window. I knew I wasn't going to make it to my bed.
I jumped to the banging on my door. I covered my ears. "Sloane! Wake up!"
The knock was gone and rolled over laying on my back. The window was still open, sun shining through. The trees were blowing, a nice breeze coming through.
Frankie came in my room. She stood at my head looking down on me. "How much did you drink?"
I rubbed my head feeling the side effects. "More than I know I should have."
Franks shook her head. "Come on. Let's get you up and in the shower. I will bring up some water and medicine to help with the hangover."
She helped me into the bathroom and left. I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked like pure hell. My eyes were dark and bloodshot. My hair was all over the place and I was pale.
As soon as I smelt the breakfast cooking downstairs my head went straight to the toilet. I had no clue one person could throw up as much as I did. Frankie came in with a bottle of water and medicine. I took the medicine and downed the water.
She left for me to get ready. I didn't know if I was going to make it through the day. I got dressed and went downstairs. Dad was sitting at the table and Frankie was fixing up some eggs.
I walked over by Frankie stealing a piece of bacon. "Morning and thank you."
"You're welcome. I've always got your back." She smiled at me.
"Sloane, are you and Frankie ready for school?" I turned to look at dad.
He was reading the Appleberry paper. "I guess so. It's my last year. Franks, is a sophomore this year."
"Yes. I am aware." He took a sip of coffee.
I sat down at the table. "You have fun last night?"
I had my head in my hands. "Yes. I got drunk and woke up with the most painful headache in history."
Dad smirked. "That's what happens when you drink."
I looked at him. "No shit."
His smirk faded. "Language, Sloane."
I rolled my eyes. I knew I would have to apologize for last night. "I am sorry, dad. For arguing and for going out."
"Will you do it again?" He looked up from the paper.
I gave him a steady stare. "Most likely."
Dad chuckled. "At least you're honest."
Frankie slammed my plate in front of me. "Seriously? Dad if that was me, I would have been grounded until the end of time."
Dad looked at me, which I was about to gag again. Then he looked to Franks. "She is eighteen Frankie. Have you seen how bad your sister is hungover? I think that is punishment enough. But if you'll be happy with me grounding her. Then Sloane, a week, no going out."
I looked up at Frankie. "Thanks sis."
She sat down. "You're welcome."
School was smack dapped in the middle of the town. At least the high school was. The other schools were off on the east or west side of the town. Lucky for Frankie and me, we just had to go only a mile or two up the road.
Before we got out to go in, I locked the doors. "Franks."
She was still mad. "Frankie, I am sorry. I told, you to cover and I was awful."
She still wasn't saying anything. I leaned over to whisper in her ear. "Forgive me please, Franks. I was an idiot."
She moved away. "Sloane, you know I hate when you whisper in my ear like that."
"Do you forgive me? I won't be able to go on with my day if you are going to be mad. We need each other." I grabbed her hand.
She swallowed her pride. "I forgive you. I know you would cover for me if I got that bad. It is okay. We are good."
I smiled. "Thank you. I love you Franks."
She got out of the car. I done the same. "I love you too big sister."
As soon as we walked up to the steps and into the high school, all eyes were on us. They wouldn't stop staring at us. I grabbed Franks hand, she squeezed mine back.
We ran into Bodhi in the office. "Hey girls, good morning."
I smiled. "Good morning Bodhi. Thanks for getting me home last night."
Frankie brought her hand out to shake Bodhi's. "Yeah, thank you. She was off her rocker."
Bodhi snickered. "It was no problem. Us girls must stick together. I've got to go. Mr. Kal will kill me if I'm late. I was late usually every day last year. This year, he wants me to try and not be late. I give it a day or two."
We laughed. "You better get going then."
She walked pass us. Franks and I went up to the receptions desk. "Hey, the Ashby's, Frankie and Sloane. We are new."
A bald man's head looked over to where we were standing. "Ashby. As in Andrew Taylor Ashby's daughters?"
I smiled. "The two and only."
"Come into my office. I am Principle Alderman. Please take a seat." He sat down behind his desk.
We sat down. "So, I have your schedules. I hope you like them. If you need any changes, just ask."
I grabbed the papers, handing Franks hers. "Thank you."
"How is your dad?" Principle Alderman leaned back in his seat.
"He is doing good sir." I smiled weakly.
"I am sorry about your loss. If there is anything I or any of the teachers can do for you, just let us know." He stood up.
We stood up with him. We shook his hand and said our thank you's and left his office. Talk about your shortest hello ever.
Frankie and I went out in the hallway. We looked over out schedules. "Great."
I looked at Frankie. "What?"
She pointed to her paper. "I have track last period. What do you have?"
"I have study hall. I don't have much my last year. When we were in the city, I was advanced in a lot of things." I shrugged.
"I was too. But I don't want to do track." I patted her back.
"You were always good at it back in the city. You were the best runner they had Franks." She didn't say anything. I could see the wheels turning.
I sighed. "Look, try it for a week. If you don't love it like you use to, then switch out of it."
She pouted. "Okay, one week. I will give it a try."
We separated down at different hallways. I was worried about her. I knew track was her and mom's thing. They ran every morning and evening together. Mom was the best on her team. Franks was better. She was being looked at to go to the Olympics. That was the dream, until mom passed away.
I looked down the hallway. Bodhi and Jett were there. The twins along with Zeke and Bowie. Then there was Gwendolyn and Phoenix. Phoenix, I didn't really get. But Gwendolyn, I could kind of see through the façade. She seemed bubbly and nice. But I could feel that something was off.
I walked over to my locker. I put all the books I had gotten from the office in my locker. I stuck my head in the locker. I wanted to slam it on my head. It would have felt better than the hangover I was going through.
"Boo." I jumped knocking my head on the top of my locker.
I held it. "I am sorry. I was just trying to, well, say hello."
"Hey Bodhi." I rubbed my head.
"I'm sorry." She put a hand on my arm.
I slung my bag over my shoulder. "It is okay. I think the hangover is worse than me hitting my head on the locker."
She chuckled. "What class do you have first?"
I looked at the schedule. "World Lit. Then History of Appleberry, Calculus, and Study Hall."
Bodhi grinned. "You have almost all my classes. I have the first two. So, does Jett. Two out of four isn't bad. I think Zeke has second with us. Phoenix and Bowie have Calculus with you. The twins have Study Hall with you. Oh, Gwendolyn has first and second with us."
"How do you know everyone's schedule?" We walked to first class.
"I helped Zeke and his grandfather do schedules over the summer. I mean everyone wrote down what they wanted. But we had to put in where they would fit and into the classes they needed." She shrugged.
"I don't need any of these classes. Except Calculus and World Lit. My senior year isn't going to keep me busy. But at least I have room to study I guess." We walked into World Lit.
I took a seat beside Bodhi who took a seat beside Jett. I looked at Mr. Kal. "Is that the World Lit. teacher?"
"Yes, isn't he a looker? All the girls drool over him." Jett cleared her throat.
Bodhi rolled her eyes. "Well, we know he is good looking, but we aren't into guys. Jett and I are together."
I gave an ah look. "Cool, I had a couple of gay and lesbian friends back in the city. Then there were some that were into whatever they liked at the time. My friends weren't shy about hooking up with whoever."
Bodhi chuckled. "Well, we are straight up lesbian and have been together for almost two years."
I warmly smiled at her. "That is really sweet. It's amazing."
Mr. Kal cleared his throat. "Am I interrupting something?"
Our heads shot forwards. "No, Mr. Kal. Just teaching Sloane about the fundamentals of lesbian relationships."
Mr. Kal got red. "That's enough Bodhi. If you want to discuss that, do it outside my classroom."
Everyone burst out into laughter. I leaned over to Bodhi. "Do people around here not like that fact you two are together?"
She shook her head. "It's not like that. We are a small town but they are beyond their years here. They could careless who dated who. Well, certain people shouldn't date. But that is a story for another time."
I nodded. I looked back to Mr. Kal. He was teaching us about The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Seemed like some people around here would sell their souls to be young and beautiful. Maybe that is what the Appleberry's done. They looked youthful. I mean they were already youthful because they were teenagers. But their skin was like porcelain.
I already knew about the book. Half way through class, I stopped focusing on the material and focused on Mr. Kal. He was tall, simply handsome, young, and freaking hot. He had this dark and sensual look. Something just drew you in. It was hypnotizing.
A note flew on top of my desk. It was from Bodhi.

Really, Mr. Kal? You like the older guys? -B

I wrote her back.

I can't help it. Have you seen him? I mean I know you like your woman, but I'm drawn to him. -S

I looked over at her as she read the note, all the while shaking her head. She threw it back to me.

You aren't going to be like all the other girls, here are you? Drooling over him? -B

I looked at her and shook my head no.

It's not that. I'm not drooling. It is just a pull. I can't explain it. -S

Bodhi sighed, she wrote something, giving it back.

Don't think about it. It will get you both in trouble. -B

I was really getting tired of getting told what to do. But she had a point.

One more question. How old is he? Then I'll drop it. -S

She scribbled away and handed it back. There was single number.

23. -B

I looked over at her mouthing thank you. She just shook her head and went back to taking notes. I knew I couldn't do anything about it. He was the teacher and I was the student. But that didn't mean I couldn't look at him. Every day at first period.
When the bell rang, Mr. Kal told me to stay back. Bodhi gave me a look I could only shrug to. I stay seated while everyone else left.
Mr. Kal made his way over to me taking a seat in the desk in front of me. "Did you like today's lesson?"
"Yes. I have already read it. So, I know what it is about." I just looked at him. Was I in trouble or what?
He looked down to the ground then back to me. "Next time you want to pass notes in my class, maybe you should do so more surreptitiously. What did the note say?"
"I am not sure you would want to know. Girl stuff, you know." I bit my lip. Hopefully, he wouldn't ask to see the note.
He chuckled. "Okay, just remember, try to be more discreet about it."
I nodded. "May I go now? I don't want to be late to my next class."
"Yeah." He got up.
I got up and gathered up my stuff to head out. "Oh, Sloane, I hope you enjoy the class this semester."
I smiled and got out of there as quick as I could. I felt like I was going to hyperventilate. I was trying to gather myself when I ran into Phoenix.
He dropped his books. "Oh, Phoenix, I am sorry."
I bent down to help him. "I've got it."
He was really starting to rub me the wrong way. "Look, I am just trying to help you. You don't have to be an ass about it."
I got up shoving his books in his hands. "Have a nice day."
"Wait." I stopped and turned around.
"What could you possibly want? You going to bite my head off again?" I folded my arms.
Phoenix laughed. "Fire ball, aren't we? Look, I am sorry. I know I can come off as hateful. I don't mean to. Just habit."
"Yeah, well, those habits can change." I stood there scolding him.
He scratched the back of his neck. "I am going to try. Maybe we can start over when I do."
I stared at him then I sighed. I walked over to him. I held out my hand, he took it. I started shaking it. "I am Sloane, nice to meet you."
"Hey Sloane, I'm Phoenix, it's a pleasure to meet you." He grinned.
I smirked. "Just try to be a bit better with the bitterness and things will be fine."
I walked off with him yelling after me. "Will do."