Ch. 11: The Attic

When I got home, dad was held up in the study and Frankie was in her room blasting her music. I knew what dad was doing and I am sure that Franks was drawing. She was just as good as drawing as she was at track.
It had been a month since living in the old house and we hadn't explored beyond our rooms and the other main rooms we used. The house had seven bedrooms, four bathrooms, a kitchen, den, living area, two studies, a basement, a laundry room, and an attic.
Dad had warned us not to go to the attic. I wasn't for sure why before. But now I was curious. I was curious to know what was up there since finding out things I had found out. It didn't help that the attic door was down the hallway across from my room. All I had to do was open my door and I could stare at the attic door. That is exactly what I was doing.
There was something up there dad didn't want us to see. Something that was supposed to stay in the past. How could he leave everything in the past when we had moved back to the one place that kept the history alive?
I got up walking to my door. I stood there staring down the attic door. I couldn't take it anymore. I crept across the hallway. I didn't want dad to hear me going towards the attic.
I hit a floor board that creaked. I heard dad's study door creep open. I ran over to the wall by the railing, so he couldn't see me. I looked down, he was looking around and then he looked up. After he figured it was nothing, he went back to the study.
I took off to the attic door. I slowly opened it to not make any noise. Once it was open, I went up the stairs closing the door behind me. I felt around for the light switch. Once I found it, I turned on the light. It was dim and cold up in the attic.
I made my way the rest of the way up the attic stairs. When I got to the top, I stopped taking it all in. It was gorgeous. Candles were lit, the scent was amazing, and there were colorful drapes hanging on the walls.
I roamed around looking at everything. There were viles sitting out. A chemistry set. Things in jars, I had no idea what they were. Then I saw it, a big leather bounded book.
I walked over taking a seat in front of it. I could hear it. It was saying my name. Then it opened. I covered my mouth before I could scream. It started flipping through pages until it stopped.
There was a letter.
. . .

My dear Sloane,

I know that if you are reading this. I have now passed. I am sorry about your mother dear. I know it will be hard, but you need to get your father back together. I am sure you have heard from Zeke and hopefully by now you have also heard from his grandfather Jason. You must do everything you can to end the curse. I don't know how to tell you to do that. But I believe in you. You will have such an incredible support system. The twins will protect you from any harm. As will the others. You must believe in everything. As for your sister, she needs to know. If I know anything, we always need family. I am so glad you found this letter and snooped in the attic when I am sure your father told you not to. I love you Sloane. I love your father and Frankie.

Love your grandmother,
                                                                 Gypsy

. . .
I started to cry. If a woman who only meet me a couple of times when I was younger can believe in someone she doesn't know, maybe I could do this. But she was right. I will need support. I will need my friends and family.
I heard dad yelling from downstairs. I quickly closed the book and ran to my room. I jumped on my bed and grabbed a book. I acted like I was reading once dad knocked on my open door.
"Yeah, dad?" I looked over at him.
He came over and sat on the bed. "What time did you say that dinner was?"
I put the book down on the end table. "It is around five."
He scratched his head. No way he was going to back out. "Dad, you are going. I don't care what you say. You are going. I promised them we would be there with you."
Dad sighed. "Sloane, you shouldn't make promises you don't think you can keep."
"I made it because I knew I could hold to it. You are going. If I have to drag you with a rope, you are going." I got up from the bed and went to my bathroom locking the door.
I slid down the bathroom door. Tears were escaping my eyes, but I wasn't sad. I was just angry. He always done this. He used to do it when we lived in the city. I was getting tired of it.
I got up and turned on the shower. Stepping under the hot water felt good. It made me feel cleansed. Like it washed away all the worry and anger.
After I was ready, I went to Frankie's door. I knocked. "Come in."
I opened it. Franks was twirling around in a blue dress with black leggings. "You looked pretty."
She stopped looking in her mirror. "Thank you. Is dad ready?"
I shrugged. "I don't know. He better be. I told him if I had to drag him there, I would."
Franks chuckled. "Sloane, you really need to try finding some peace."
"I will find peace when he stops being the way he is. I am tired of it Franks. I can't take it anymore." I plopped down on her bed.
Frankie came and laid beside me. "It's going to be okay Sloane, I promise."
She laid her head on my shoulder. We laid there until we heard dad clear his throat. We both sat up and looked at him.
For the first time in a long time, he was cleaned up and cleaned shaved. He had on fitted jeans, a black v neck shirt with a nice navy suit jacket over it.
"Dad, you look great." I smiled.
Frankie jumped up going over to give him a hug. "You look amazing dad."
He hugged her back. "As do you girls. Are you ready to go?"
"Yeah, let me grab my jacket." They went out. I walked in my room and grabbed my jacket.
I stopped looking at the attic door. I couldn't get everything out of my head. I shook myself out of it and went down to get in the truck.