Ch. 16: Mondays

I heard pounding on my door. I rolled over on my back. I was on the floor again. I didn't understand it. I had been waking up on the floor for the past month. The window was open again as well.
"Sloane, get your butt up. We are going to be late." Frankie yelled through the door.
I put the pillow over my head. "Go away!"
I heard the door open and peeked out from under the pillow, Franks shoes were at my head. "Again, with the floor?"
I sat up looking at her. "What can I say, it is comfortable?"
"Right. Get up and get ready. We have school and I am not missing meeting up with Zeke because you sleep in late." Frankie crossed her arms walking out.
Such the grump this morning. Usually, I was the one who had mood swings. This morning I felt okay. I got up and got ready. Since, we were already late, I threw my hair in a bun and went downstairs.
"Hey, has anyone seen my jacket?" I was looking under the pillows and cushions on the couch.
Dad came into the living room eating on an apple. "I think you put it in the hall closet."
I ran over and looked. Sure, enough it was there. "I can never keep up with my jacket. I need to just keep it on all the time."
Dad chuckled. "I'm like that with my keys."
I looked over at him. He was clean and dressed, with a smile on his face. "Where are you going today? Why are you so bubbly?"
Before I could get an answer, Franks pulled me out the door. "We got to go."
I jumped in the truck and looked over at her. "Why are you a grump this morning? I thought the boyfriend would keep a smile on your face."
"I am fine. Just on my period okay." She looked out the window with a pissed off frown on her face.
I held my hands up. "Okay, just take a midol and you'll be fine.'
Her head snapped over to me. I laughed and took off towards school. Poor Franks, I know that having a period puts a damper on things. It hurts, and you just want people to leave you alone or you'd snap their neck. At least that is what it's like for some girls.
Before I could even get the truck parked, Frankie had opened the door and ran up the steps to meet Zeke. He put an arm around her shoulders pulling her in. He knew she didn't feel good. I could tell by the way he was looking at her.
"Boo." The Twins were at my window. I jumped and flipped them off.
They took off towards the school building. I know I woke up okay but now I didn't feel like even going in the building. Bodhi opened the door getting in.
"Good morning." She smiled.
I nodded. "Morning Bodhi."
"Are you okay Sloane?" She reached out and held my hand.
I looked to Zeke and my sister. Bodhi followed my gaze. "You know he isn't going to hurt her. Zeke, despite his smartass ways, he is a sweet guy."
"Yeah, I'm just not into the whole relationship thing. I have never felt like it was something I needed." I looked out the window.
Gwendolyn and Phoenix were getting out of 1952 Bentley R-Type Continental. One old but pretty car. Of course, they would be getting out of something like that. They were filthy rich.
I watched them walk across the parking lot to the school building. Phoenix looked back straight at me. He had caught me looking at them. I quickly looked away.
"Hello, Sloane. What is up?" Bodhi rubbed my arm like a mother consoling her child would.
I looked over at her. "I don't know. I guess I'm just feeling lonely when it comes to a relationship. I had never thought about it before. But looking at you and Jett. Zeke and Franks. Even the others have how they feel figured out. I'm just lost."
"You'll figure it out Sloane. I know this whole curse thing has made things even more complicated. But it will be okay. You have us." Bodhi gave a sincere smile.
I took a deep breath. "Thanks. Let's go get today over with."
We had gone into Mr. Kal's. The group sat in the back with each other. We had all become close. I felt good about having them as my friends. I never noticed before but Ziv and Zig were in the class too. They were always in the back corner. I sat by the back door. So, I never noticed them.
I, however, did notice Gwendolyn. She was staring at me. She looked away as soon as Mr. Kal came in. "Well, I see we have all changed seats."
He looked at me then moved to the front. He sat on his desk looking at us. "I hope you have finished your essays over The Picture of Dorian Gray. If not, then I guess you'll just be taking a zero. Pass them up to the front."
I dug out my essay I had finished just last night. I crammed it in after everything that had been happening the past few weeks.
I leaned over to whisper to Bodhi. "Does Mr. Kal seem a bit ticked today?"
"Yeah, he seems not himself. Usually, he is all Mr. Go Happy." Bodhi looked towards Mr. Kal.
He looked darker this morning. Not the same smiling Mr. Kal he had been the past month or two. He had gone away last week. Before he left he was smiling. He is back and there is no hint of a smile. Not even a glint of happy in his eyes.
The bell rang, thank god. All I could do is look at Mr. Kal the whole time. Trying to figure out why he looked so down or whatever it was he was feeling.
"Earth to Sloane." Ziv was waving a hand in front of my face.
I snapped out of it. Ziv and Zig were standing there waiting for me. I guess to walk me to class. They had become bodyguards at school. I didn't need it. I didn't want it. But they insisted they walk me to class.
"Ziv and Zig, please go to your next class. I need to talk to Ms. Ashby." Mr. Kal was sitting on his desk like the beginning of class.
Ziv and Zig looked at Mr. Kal and back to me. "It's all right guys. I will be fine."
I gathered up my things and going up to stand in front of Mr. Kal. "Did I do something wrong?"
"No, on the contrary." He turned to pick up my essay paper.
He handed it to me. "You are the highest grade."
"Wow, that is amazing. I was for sure I would bomb it. I had to cram for it." I looked at the A plus on my essay.
Mr. Kal smiled for the first time this morning. "You are a bright woman Sloane. I knew you'd do good."
I smiled up at him. "I am glad you think so."
"How are you liking the school so far? I see you've made friends. You have a boyfriend yet?" His arms were crossed over his chest.
"I have made great friends. But um, on the boyfriend, I guess I like someone or more than one someone. I just don't know what to do." Mr. Kal's eyes went dark. I quickly took s step back.
He chuckled. "I am sure you'll figure it out Sloane. Just don't think you have to do something just because."
I looked up at him. What did he mean by that? "I know that."
Mr. Kal smirked. "I am sorry. I shouldn't have asked about something so personal."
"Yeah, you shouldn't have." I had no clue why I was snapping at him or why he was even asking. Back in New York when a teacher done that, it was considered harassment.
"I think you should go now." Mr. Kal walked around his desk to sit down.
I didn't even know what to say. I just walked out and started heading to my other class. Ziv and Zig caught up to me.
"Aren't you two supposed to be in class?" I kept walking to History of Appleberry.
"We heard everything Sloane." They were on either side of me.
I stopped. "I did too. I was there. Just leave it alone."
"Sloane, stay away from him." They turned around and walked off.
I yelled after them. "Why?"
They just kept walking. I heard a throat clear. "Ms. Ashby, class."
I looked over to Ms. Stone. "Yes, I know."
I walked in and sat down. Ms. Stone walked to the front of the room. She started babbling about the towns history.
Bodhi leaned over. "What kept you so long?"
"Mr. Kal wanted to tell me how good I was doing in class and wanted to see how I was doing." I shrugged opening my notebook to take notes.
"I think we need to talk at lunch. We are all going to Ashby beach for lunch." I nodded to let her know I heard her.
The bell rang for lunch and I was the first one out the door to wait on everyone else to go to lunch. I waited in my truck for everyone to come out. There was a knock on my window.
I rolled it down. "Mr. Kal."
"Hey, I just wanted to say I was sorry about earlier." He smirked.
I sighed. "It's fine. Just don't do it again."
"What if I can't promise that?" I heard hollering and looked over. The twins and everyone was headed out the door.
I looked back to my open window. Mr. Kal was gone. The twins and other guys jumped in the back of the truck. All the girls squished up in the front. I drove off wondering where Mr. Kal had took off to and how he even disappeared like that.
I could hear all the guys in the back goofing off and making fools of themselves. The girls beside me were all talking up a storm. I heard the wheels on the wet pavement. Everything was getting to me. I could hear every little sound and it was driving me nuts.
I skidded to a stop and got out. I took my jacket off and held onto my chest. Everyone was out and coming to me. I put a hand out for them to stop. I didn't want anyone touching me or coming towards me. I just wanted to be left alone.
I was crying and turning around trying to find an escape plan. I had to get away from everything. I needed to run. I found a deer trial going up into the woods. I took off. Everyone was yelling for me. I had to get away from them. I had to get away from the noise.
I kept running until I took a sudden stop before I flew off a cliff. The water was rushing underneath. I laid down on my stomach scooting towards the edge. I picked up a rock holding it over the cliff. I dropped it. It seemed like it was falling forever then I saw it hit.
I could hear the twins behind me along the rest of them running up the trail. I quickly got up stepping up to the edge. They were getting closer. I wanted to them to leave. I wanted to shut out everything.
I jumped.
I closed my eyes when my foot hit the air. But when my second foot hit the air, I opened my eyes. Everything was slowly but fast falling towards the sky as I fell towards the water. I heard nothing but waves and white noise. It was clear. It gave me a rush. It was over too soon. I hit the water.
It felt like a thousand upon thousands of needles pricking my skin. I didn't mind it. When I knew things had slowed down. I opened my eyes. The water was so clear and beautiful underneath. I could sense I was crying. Then I screamed. I screamed so loud, I felt like my lungs would explode.
When I came up from the water, I took in a deep breath. I took in the sun shining down. It warmed my face. Then I heard noises from above. I looked up to the cliff. They were all standing up there arguing and looking down on me.
All I could do was go back under and swim towards the shore. As I walked on to the shore soaked head to toe, I laid on the sand. I felt free for one moment. A moment I wish I could find with something that wouldn't take my life. I knew it was stupid to jump off the cliff in rushing waves that were so cold I could feel my lips turning purple.
Too soon, I heard the truck pull up and everyone rushing down to the shore. "Sloane!"
I stood up and walked to them. "What?"
They all stopped. I stopped in front of them. Bowie spoke before anyone. "What the hell was that?"
I shrugged. "I just needed space."
"That was stupid." Bowie had anger in his voice.
I grabbed the blanket Franks handed to me. "Shut up Bowie. There was too much in my head. I just needed it all to stop for a moment."
Bowie walked off back up to the truck. Bodhi, Jett, Franks, and the twins came over putting their arms around me. I knew they loved me. I knew they wanted to be there. But I just needed alone time. I felt like everything had just built up and I exploded.
"What was going on?" Bodhi waved everyone away expect Franks and Jett.
I shrugged and rubbed my hand through my hair. "I just felt like I needed to clear my head. I was having a panic attack."
"Sloane, you haven't had a panic attack since a year ago." Franks put her arms around me.
I laid my head on top of hers. "I know, I guess I just couldn't take it. Plus, with finding out everything. I thought I was okay with all of it. But now, I'm not so sure."
I looked over Bodhi's shoulder. Phoenix had pulled up. He was sitting there. I broke loose from them and went up to his car. He got out leaning up against his car.
"Do you have a death wish?" He folded his arms across his chest.
I snickered. "No, I was just clearing my head."
"One hell of a way to clear you head Sloane. You know you can talk to people. You have friends." He smirked.
That smirk seemed so familiar. I had seen it before. But where? "I am okay. I can't talk to them. They know too much. They know me. There are just some things I can't open up about."
"I understand. If you ever need to talk, I'm here. I know I'm not part of the squad or whatever you guys are. But you can talk to me." He went to get in his car.
"Thank you, Phoenix. It means more than you know." I smiled at him letting him leave.
Franks and Bodhi came up beside me. "What was that about?"
"He was just checking on me. Let's go eat." I walked over to where the twins had everything pulled out to eat.
I sat down. Bowie was staring at me. "What?"
Bowie's jaw tightened. "You need to stay away from Phoenix."
I half laughed. "You know what, I am getting sick and tired of people telling who to watch out for and who to stay away from. If I want to hang out with someone or whatever. I will do as a I please. It will be my mistake if something messes up."
Everyone was gawking at me. Bowie was smirking. He really loved getting under my skin. "Just piss off."
I got up and walked off towards the truck. When I got in, there was a flower in the seat. A card was attached.
"Behind every exquisite thing that existed, there was something tragic."- K
Kal. But how did he get it in my truck. How did he even know where I was? What the hell was going on? I had enough problems to worry about with the mixed signals Bowie and Phoenix were sending me. Now, I had to deal with Mr. Kal too.
I shoved the card into the glove box and threw the flower out the window. I put my head against the steering wheel. I was ready to get home. I needed to think without any distractions. Talk about a quad.