Ch. 3: Long Drive Home

It was fourteen hours until we reached Oregon. It was a long drive home. Slade had slept for the past five hours since being on the road. I had stopped once to fill up the gas tank and that didn't even wake him up. He was out. I don't think he had slept the night before. Which was probably some of my fault since I left.
It was when I bought some chicken from gas station that Slade woke up. "Is that chicken?"
I looked over at him about to take a bite of the chicken. "Yes. Get enough beauty sleep?"
He faked laughed. "Funny. I'm already beautiful, I don't need beauty rest for that. Give me some chicken, I'm hungry."
"Excuse you. Say please." I glared at him.
He rolled his eyes. "Please, may I have some chicken?"
I sighed. "I guess so."
I gave him the bag with the chicken. "Did you get any sauce?"
"No, I just wanted to eat. I didn't think about dipping it." I started the car and pulled out of the parking lot.
"Drinks?" Slade said through a mouth full of chicken.
I was downing chicken myself. "In the back seat."
"How long have you been driving?" He wiped his hands on a napkin.
I shrugged my shoulders. "Five, maybe six hours."
"Pull over. I will drive." He patted my leg.
"I can drive." I looked over at him.
He put the bucket of chicken in the back of the car. "I am sure you can. But you need rest. So, pullover."
I looked from the road to Slade then back to the road. "Fine, you can drive. Only because I need a ten-minute nap."
We got out and walked around the car. "Only a ten-minute nap? You need more sleep than that."
"No, I need a ten-minute nap. Then I can drive again." I got in and shut the door.
Slade put the car in drive. "Okay Sloane, whatever you say."
***
I woke up to darkness. I rubbed my eyes and looked around. Slade was still driving. He had the music down low and bopping along. He looked handsome.
He looked over at me. "Hey sleepy head. How was your ten-minute nap?"
I sat up straight. "Good but you were supposed to wake me up after the ten-minute nap. Now, here it is dark. You've been driving for hours."
"You just looked so cute while you drooled. I couldn't wake you." He gave a cheesy grin.
I rolled my eyes. "How long have you been driving?"
Slade shrugged. "I guess eight hours. Meaning we only have another hour until we are in Oregon."
I turned up the music a bit. "Then keep driving, you've drove this far."
All went silent. I looked out the window, the stars were bright. It was beautiful. I rolled down the window feeling the cold breeze. I could smell the snow.
I looked back over to Slade. "I don't drool by the way."
He laughed. "Whatever you say Sloane."
***
I looked up from reading. There it was, the sign that said welcome to Oregon. I was nervous. I had been gone a little over two months. Only Grace knew where I was. She didn't tell anyone. Which I was surprised. I figured she would have told Jason or Dad. I knew everyone was worried about me.
I just needed to figure it all out. If I stay with Phoenix, then I or him could end up dead. If not both. If we had children, they could end up dead. All because they would be too powerful, and everyone fears that. Who's to say I even want kids? I know it broke the curse when Phoenix and I bonded. But does that mean we need to be together?
I had done a lot of thinking the whole time I was in Montana. Of every aspect of my life. Being a witch, being a wolf, and my love life. Why did things have to be so difficult? I just wanted to be normal again. Though I know that won't happen. Normal I guess is just overrated.